Chapter Twenty-Seven | Bond Street

Zacznij od początku

A seamstress hurried up to them. "Ladies, how might I be of assistance today?"

"We ordered a number of gowns for the lady here," Lady Torrington pointed a gloved finger towards Vivienne. "I received a missive from Madame Joselyn that they are ready."

The seamstress winced, "Madame Joselyn is busy with another customer now. Would you mind waiting a bit?"

"Humph, it's not like I'm going to travel all the way back to Mayfair and leave without the dresses now, am I?"

The seamstress looked a bit nonplussed by the dowager countess' tone. Millie and Vivienne shared a discreet smile as they were led to a cream-coloured chaise.

"May I offer you tea?"

"I don't believe so. I had breakfast a couple of hours ago." Lady Torrington commented.

The seamstress looked as though she wanted to hide into the nearest dress but didn't want to offend the dowager countess any further. There were a few moments of silence as they could vaguely hear Madame Joselyn and another lady from behind the curtain. The curtains rustled, and Madame Joselyn stepped forward.

"Ah, Lady Torrington, Lady Vivienne, a pleasure. My apologies for the wait, I had a last-minute fitting." The dressmaker curtsied before her gaze turned towards Millie. "I don't believe we have met?"

"This is my lady's maid, Millie," Vivienne introduced.

Madame Joselyn gave her a short nod, "It is good that you brought her here. Some of the dresses are a bit more difficult to put on, she can learn from my seamstress before you leave."

There was a rustling behind the curtain once more as a beautiful lady in a peach day gown entered. "Oh," she held her hand to her mouth in surprise as her gaze landed upon Lady Torrington.

Vivienne did not think it was possible, but Lady Torrington turned a shade colder. "Lady Cobham," she said, her voice almost frosty.

"Lady Torrington," Lady Cobham said brightly. "I didn't expect you to be here. Are you ordering new gowns for the season?"

Lady Torrington shook her head, "No, we were getting dresses for Lady Vivienne. It is her first season."

Lady Cobham's brown gaze turned towards Vivienne for the first time. She smiled brightly, "I don't believe we have met yet. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Vivienne gave her a weary smile, "likewise." She didn't know why Lady Torrington had been quite rude to her, but their must be a reason for her behaviour.

Lady Cobham turned back to the dowager countess, "Is Lady Vivienne a relative of yours?" she asked politely, but it was clear that the lady was pushing for answers.

"You could say that."

Lady Cobham looked confused by Lady Torrington's refusal to provide more answers. She fixed her features seconds later into something more serene as she looked back at Vivienne. "If it is your first season in London, you must be prepared to see all the sights. You could call on me later in the week and I can introduce you to a few other ladies who are also debutantes."

Vivienne thought about the offer for a moment, it would be nice to meet other debutantes before they were all introduce at Almack's. She would be more comfortable and hopefully make more friends.

"That's very kind of you," Vivienne began. "But I would not want to impose."

Lady Cobham shook her head, "You wouldn't be imposing at all. I love to host, and nothing would please me more than learning about the debutantes to be set on the gentlemen of London."

Vivienne smiled, "Then I will accept."

Lady Cobham dipped her head, "I can send a carriage for you. I know Lady Torrington's residence is rather far away, or are you renting a house for the season?"

Before she could say anything, Lady Torrington cut in. "We are both residing in Mayfair, at the Duke of Lennox's townhouse."

Lady Cobham visibly flinched before she cleared her throat. "Oh, well then. You are in the very heart of London. I'll get someone to deliver a card to your house with the address."

Vivienne nodded, unaware of the reason for the sudden change in temperament from the lady.

"If you will excuse me both, I must attend to some other errands."

She left in rather a hurry, making Vivienne question her hasty departure. Lady Cobham seemed kind enough and she didn't understand the dowager countess's previous actions.

"Why were you unkind to her?" Vivienne asked, unable to hold her curiosity.

The dowager snorted, in a rather unladylike manner. "You don't want to know my dear," she said. "Now get your dresses fit. I'm not getting any younger sitting here."

Vivienne was usher to the back by Madame Joselyn before she could ask any more questions. Sighing, Vivienne gave up and let the dressmaker fuss over her. When Lady Torrington didn't want to answer a question, nothing could pry it out of her. 

-----------------

Who do you guys think Lady Cobham is? Why was Lady Torrington rude to her? (Hint, it was briefly mentioned in an earlier chapter)