Chapter Twenty-Seven | Bond Street

Start from the beginning

She opened her mouth to question if they really should leave right now, but she shut it back when the dowager countess sent her a look that left little room for argument. As she was exiting the hall, Lady Torrington asked, "I remember hiring a lady's maid for you. How is she?"

"Really skillful." Vivienne replied truthfully, before her tone turned a touch melancholy. "She did my hair in an elaborate updo that made it seem quite shiny."

Ever the emotional reader, Lady Torrington caught her face. "Oh, stop your mooning. I am not going to apologize for falling asleep yesterday."

Vivienne's face blanched, "Oh no, I was not at all offended when you didn't come to dinner. I understand, the journey was hard on me as well."

They climbed the stairs together, Vivienne slowing her pace to keep the dowager countess company.

"There will be other times for you to dress up. As for my nephew, I am not his timekeeper. Any quarrel you might have, take it up with him."

Vivienne knew she absolutely would not be speaking to James about last nights humiliation. If he didn't know, that was better for her. They reached the crossroads between their rooms and Lady Torrington began walking away. "I'll see you downstairs in an hour and bring your lady's maid as well. I need to make sure she's as competent as you state."

***

Vivienne could not wait to exit the carriage. The journey had not been a smooth one. Although the carriage was comfortable and sleek, the atmosphere inside was far from it. Lady Torrington spent the last quarter of an hour interrogating Millie. If Vivienne didn't know any better, she would have assumed that the dowager countess was a British intelligence officer in his majesty's service. She was however amazed at Millie's sheer politeness. The lady's maid answered every single question posed by the dowager without flinching once.

The carriage stopped, and Vivienne gripped the edges to hold herself. "Are we there yet?"

The swinging of the door moments later answered Vivienne's question. The groomsman held out his hand, "We have arrived, my ladies."

Vivienne stepped down and Millie followed her. Lady Torrington joined them soon after. They were in quite the busy street, Vivienne noticed. There were plenty of carriages lounging around with the servants standing close to them. The streets were flooded with people, more than she had ever seen in her life. Vivienne took in the elaborate fashion of the ton, beautiful day dresses on the ladies and fine waistcoats on the gentlemen.

She was pulled from her awe with a harsh tug on her arm. She looked up to see Millie, "Apologies, my lady. You were about to get trampled over."

Vivienne flattened herself to the side in order to avoid being run over by another carriage. "Is it always this busy?" she asked meekly.

Millie smiled, "Welcome to Bond Street my lady. This is the heart of shopping for the people of Mayfair. All the best dressmakers and millers have shops here."

Lady Torrington's cane clacked on the pavement impatiently, "Come along now."

Vivienne weaved her way through the crowd, making sure to keep close to Millie and the dowager countess. After what seemed like forever, they arrived at an establishment with gorgeous dresses displayed against the glass panel.

"Ah, here it is," Lady Torrington said, stopping at the door.

Millie rushed to open it for the dowager countess and Vivienne could have sworn that she saw a look of approval on Lady Torrington's normally stern face. Vivienne followed in suit with Millie trailing behind them. She gasped when they entered. Her eyes didn't know where to look. There were dresses of all colours, shapes, frills around them. Lady Torrington ignored them all and walked to the back of the shop.