Push: A Second Chances Documentary

PUSH: A SECOND CHANCES DOCUMENTARY

A 19-year-old woman stares directly at the camera. "I stop here?"

Off screen: Line up on the 'X'.

The girl shifts slightly.

Now look at the camera.

She does. She smiles, and gives her introduction when she is given the cue: "My name is Jessica Higher, I came here all the way from Norman, Oklahoma, and I'm here today for my Second Chance!"

Five cities.

"I'm in New York City-,"

"Atlanta."

"Chicago-,"

"Albuquerque-,"

"Los Angeles-,"

Over 10,000 auditions.

"My name is Alexi."

"Shawna."

"John."

"Mark."

"Rebecca."

They came from all across the country. They had different backgrounds.

"I'm a teacher."

"I'm a student."

"I'm an actor."

"I do karaoke."

But one common goal: to make it to Hollywood.

A young woman of mixed Asian heritage smiles at the camera. "My name is Nadine Parish, I'm 20 years old, and I'm ready for my Second Chance."

Superimposed over the voiceover are several dozen people echoing: "I'm ready for my second chance."

It was the television show that would define a generation. Blending sarcasm with social commentary, drama with dreaming, Second Chances was the show that was unafraid to tackle the hard-hitting topics.

There is B film of Zander saying emotionally, "That was my child!"

Of Cale and Austin in the hospital being addressed by the doctor. "I'm sorry, boys: we lost him."

Of Shelby crying as she whispers, "I'm pregnant."

All while creating some great music along the way.

There is a clip of the band Push playing Dream On, a song that has become iconic of Second Chances. Cale, Zander, LaVaughn, and Henry playing in the garage of Cale's house fades out and is replaced by a clip of the entire cast performing in front of a packed crowd at Madison Square Garden.

The camera pans over cheering fans. A youngish looking reporter stops in front of a group of girls standing in line. "Who did you guys come out to see today?"

They're eager in their answers: "Cale!"

"Zander!"

"Kaylee!"

Bigger than just a TV show. Second Chances was a phenomenon.

The film speeds through videos of cast interviews, images of the cast laughing with each other, celebrating milestones together. The final shot is of the main cast on set of The Lounge before the footage fades to black.

#Seconds flashes across the screen in solid white letters.

The promotional video ends.

Radley Dunfree, host of Access Entertainment Tonight, is standing in the middle of The Lounge. The usually bright and welcoming set is cast in shadow with only the most minimalistic lighting focused on Radley. A production assistant counts him in. He's given a thumbs up.

"It's been over three years since the last note rang out on set of Second Chances. It was here, way back in September of 2008 that Lisha Hadler and I sat down with the cast to watch the first episode of Second Chances. Since then, they've been frequent guests of The Lounge."

He takes a moment. His gaze looks distant, contemplative, as if he can still see the cast surrounding him. "By now, you've undoubtedly heard about the tragedy that befell the cast of Second Chances with the untimely death of one of its main stars." Radley looks directly at the camera, sadness and calm concern etched on his face. "You've heard the rumors, but do you really know the true story?"

Dramatic music plays over Radley's speech. "On November 8, 2012, the cast of Second Chance was forever changed. Second Chances was the surprise hit dramedy that took the world by storm. From setting and breaking iTunes records, to booking sold out concerts and tackling the issues that other television shows wouldn't, Second Chances quickly grew to become a fan favorite TV series with an almost obsessive fandom. With a press and social media friendly policy, open casting calls, and possibly the most accessible cast in history, #Seconders, as they have been dubbed, were pulled in as part of the Second Chances family.

"So, how does one of the nation's most-watched shows go from a ratings darling to a tragic PR nightmare? Finally get the answers to the questions that you've been dying to know: what secret trysts were really going on once the cameras were turned off? Did Alex and Brennan have an ongoing feud that was exacerbated by Victor Newley? Was there something that could have been done to prevent what took place on set during the filming of the 100th episode? Was the cast really as close as they seemed?"

Radley's voice becomes secretive and somewhat playful. He flashes his trademark smile. "Follow us behind the scenes as we uncover the real story! Get the answers to those questions and more! Come with me back to the very beginning. Hear coveted cast interviews, discover the in-depth tale of its rise from humble beginnings to an international sensation. Learn the truth about the unraveling of Paisley Johanna. Find out what demons plagued the cast.

"Based off the novel of the same name, we've got your exclusive coming up, so stay tuned for Push: A Second Chances Documentary. Right here, right now, right...after the break!"

The director signals that they are no longer recording. Radley turns to his PA. "That sounded good, right?" There's a nod. "Gripping, and letting out just enough info to tease, but staying successfully vague, right?"

More encouraging nods. "That was perfect, Rad."

Radley nods to himself. "Yes," he agreed. "I was." A sudden pressing question occurs to him. "How'd my hair look?"