Chapter 21: No Printing Press Metal

Start from the beginning

"I don't know. I guess I'd considered it before but- this? God, I just can't believe it," she said, shaking her head.

"You will stay though, won't you?" I inquired.

"I'm not sure. Everything seems a bit blurred after this," she said, shaking her head.

My heart dropped. Perhaps I should've kept my mouth shut.

"At least- at least the only thing that's left is the college entrance exams. Then after that we head off to college and that's that," I said softly. She looked over.

"Right. Yes of course. It's strange to me. It feels like just yesterday you were 16. Now you're turning 18 in a month," she said, smiling solemnly.

"I would think it's a good thing, no?" I questioned.

"It is, I just- you've grown so much. You're a whole woman now," she said, and I smiled.

"I suppose I am. It's all a bit nerve wracking, though. I just- I wish I didn't have to think of marriage. I'm perfectly happy on my own, though if I ever do want to get married now would be the time," I said, sighing.

"Don't let marriage define your actions. You've got plenty of time to marry. Discover yourself a bit first," she said, and I paused, nodding.

"Miss Stacy I do hope you'll stay in Avonlea. I've lived here all my life and it only felt enjoyable once you became our teacher," I said as we stopped in front of her house.

"You flatter me. I have no clue what I'm going to do. I think- well, once you and all your classmates leave for college, I won't have many friends left will I?" She said, sighing.

"I would visit you. I'd come see you every weekend," I said, and she smiled softly.

"And I would appreciate it. Let's see how things go from here. But first, I need some time to think. I'm currently thinking I'll invite the study group to my house a few afternoons a week. There's only a few weeks left until the exams. I'll do what I can to help you all through it," she said, smiling. I nodded.

"Let me know what you decide. I need to talk to Rachel Lynde once I'm home. We'll see how all this works out, hm?" I said softly, and she nodded.

I gave her hand a squeeze, propping up her bike.

"I'll see you at some point or another. I always seem to find you," she said with a smile. I smiled in return, and walked off.

We would do what we could, and that was that.

—————

I sat besides Ruby, sighing and studying the math problems, doing some practice in the meantime.

"If nothing else, at least I can offer you refreshments," Miss Stacy said, pouring lemonade for all of us.

I felt bad, but I thanked her as she poured.

Gilbert and Anne were busy flirting in the other room.

I rolled my eyes, groaning when I couldn't seem to get the correct answer.

"How on earth am I supposed to get 49?" I muttered, and I felt a hand touch my shoulder.

"Here. You've got the steps out of order."

Miss Stacy leaned in, writing on the paper and correcting it.

"Thank you. It'll be a miracle if I can get into college," I grumbled.

"Well, lucky for you, you happen to be good at everything besides math," she joked, and I smiled, feeling relieved when I was finally able to figure out the problems.

Everyone had moved into the other room, beginning to tease Gilbert about Winifred. I rolled my eyes, continuing.

"See? You've got it. Once you know how to solve the problems it's simple for you," Miss Stacy said, pulling a chair beside me.

"I suppose. There's just been a lot on my mind lately," I said, sighing.

"I suppose that makes two of us," She said, sighing.

"Rachel Lynde tells me she has a plan. We can only hope it works," I said, shaking my head.

"Either way, I don't think Rachel Lynde can singlehandedly rebuild the whole school," She said with a sigh, pouring herself a glass of lemonade as well.

"I'd say some form of justice would soothe the anger," I rationalized.

"You're right, of course. It's just frustrating," she said, sighing.

I nodded, gently putting my hand on top of hers as a comfort.

She smiled sadly, but I knew she appreciated it.

I wondered what would happen now.