We're often left confused

Magsimula sa umpisa

His mind couldn't compute that there wasn't one person in the whole school that didn't want to take her - not even Regulus had made a move.

But then the other half of him was more than relieved to hear this, for it meant he stood a chance. When he was going to ask her, Sirius hadn't decided yet, but he definitely was, that was for sure. No one knew he was, not even James, and she would probably say no, but she was the only one he wanted to go with. She was the only one, full stop. He just hoped that it wouldn't freak her out when he finally did pluck up the courage to brave the question.

Hypothetically... if you were going, and you could go with anyone in the whole school, who would you go with?

Whether he truly wanted the answer to that question or not, Sirius wasn't sure, but he waited eagerly as she poised her quill to reply. It took her a while to think before she wrote anything, shielding her words from his view again, and when she finally slid the parchment back over to him, the corners of her lips were curling up.

Guess?

Sea green eyes sparkling with mischief, Sirius accepted the challenge, an itching feeling in the back of his mind that he already knew who it would be - by the way she was gazing at him so deeply, he was almost certain.

A boy?

Yes.

Gryffindor?

Of course.

Long haired? Dashingly handsome?

No doubt about it.

Don't tell me it's that Sirius Black? He's a scoundrel, you know? No good for a fair maiden such as yourself.

Ellie stifled her laughter, and Sirius couldn't hide his grin at her amusement. He was sure now that she'd say him, and it was like a weight lifted off of his shoulders.

Something had shifted between the two of them, and this was a sure sign. Things felt laced with flirtatious comments, where they were once just jokes. Sirius didn't know what that meant for them moving forward, and in all honesty, it frightened him slightly. But Ellie probably would always frighten him, she was just so exciting in that way.

Though his confidence was knocked when she shook her head.

Who is he then?

The handsome boy demanded an answer. There were only a few other long haired boys in Gryffindor, and as far as he knew, Ellie had never spoken to any of them. Sirius became very aware of his jealously in that moment.

Dumbledore.

His scowl fell and he stared at the beautiful girl with a deadpanned expression. She was turning red as she held in her hysterical laughter at his expression, Ellie knew he really had been panicked for a moment. In frustration, Sirius shoved the side of her head violently, but she just reached to pinch his cheeks as she mocked him. Batting her away, Sirius snapped the end of his quill as he wrote his reply, sliding the parchment back over to her before crossing his arms over his chest and slouching his seat.

I hate you.

But Ellie only leaned into his side, placing her lips right next to his ear, as Sirius tensed completely. As her breath fanned across the side of his face, goose bumps rose on the back of his neck, and he found himself itching to turn to meet her gaze.