I cried as I gave her a kiss on the forehead, "Goodnight baby sis, every goal I score for you is a beauty."

They both passed away later that night leaving me a crying mess in Patri's arms. She tried to calm me down time and time again, but we both knew nothing would be able to soothe me. I was bombed with texts all night from teammates and friends reaching out to send their condolences. It was nice to hear from my teammates and Patri's alike to hear their support and their prayers. However, I knew I had to play in the game, not for myself, but for my family, so the next morning Patri and I hopped on a flight to Amsterdam to meet with our respective teams to prepare for our match.  

As we were walking out of the airport hand and hand Patri stopped me and looked me in the eyes, "Are you sure you want to do this Mata? You're allowed to take some time to yourself you don't need to hope right back into football after a loss like this. Everyone will understand if you miss this match."

I knew it was coming from her heart, but there was no way I wasn't playing in this match after what Lotte had said to me. I leaned down and kissed the midfielder, "I know baby, but I need to do this. I need to do it for Lotte." 

She nodded in understanding and we walked outside to Viv parked waiting to take us to our team's hotels. I kissed Patri when we got to where Spain was saying and she told me to let her know if I needed her. It was nice having someone like her there for me and knowing that if anything ever came up she'd be there. 

I settled into the room I was sharing with Viv and once we had all of our responsibilities done for the day I settled in ready to just sleep. 

Patri's POV

When I got to the hotel I looked at my phone to a text from Mapi,

You're stuck with me kid, room 403

I smiled at her text and made my way over to the elevator and up to my room. A few other of the girls were in the room and were asking me how Mata was holding up. It was nice hearing that all of my teammates supported me so much and wanted Mata to be as okay as possible.

It started getting late and after hanging out with a few of my Spain teammates decided it was time to call it a night and decided to go back to their own rooms. Mapi and I did our own nightly routines before laying in bed when she broke the comfortable silence we had been sitting in, "How are you holding up kid? I know with everything going on with Mata it's gotta be hard on you too."

The question had caught me a little bit off guard, but I appreciated the question since it was affecting me a bit, "I'm just worried about her really. There is just so much going on outside of football and she just doesn't seem to be processing any of it."

Mapi looked over at me with a comforting look, "You gotta give her time, this is the type of thing that will take its time to really sink in and realize what's really going on. She's probably trying to use this game as a bit of a distraction away from everything going on right now."

"I know and I know that soccer is her way of coping, but I don't want her ignoring the feelings that'll come along with everything. I get using soccer as a distraction, but I just don't want her to completely ignore everythign and not process everything." 

Mapi stood up from her bed and moved to mine to jug me from the side, "Give her the time she needs to just ignore everything. You know when she's ready you'll be the first person she comes to."

I leaned into Mapi and I knew she was right, I just had to wait until she was ready to process what was going on. Me and her talked for a little while longer about everything that's been going on including Mapi and her new romance with Ingrid. It was nice having the trip to talk with Mapi, even though we live together it's still nice just to have these moments of just us where we can talk about anything with each other.

How's being at camp? {22:13}

Mata: It's nice being with the girls, but It also feels like everyone is watching me like a hawk {22:32}

They're just trying to make sure you're okay. Even if you're not ready to talk with anyone about it they just want you to know they're there.

Mata: I know and I know it's all from a good place, but I don't like feeling like they're always watching me

I know and it'll get better with time they're just trying to make sure you're okay, you know how much they care

{Mata loved a message from Patri}

Mata: How has it been for you?

It's been the usual. Rooming with Mapi as per usual, so I can't complain over here

Mata: I'm glad you're having a nice time, but I am gonna head to bed. I'll text you in the morning before breakfast and training

That's a good idea, sleep well, I love you

Mata: I love you too, goodnight babe

I put my phone down with a smile lingering on my face. Being able to say those three words to her that I've felt for a little while now is so relieving. Knowing that she knows how I feel and that I know she feels the same way always makes my heart jumps a little.