XIV. I'M GETTING NUMB TO THE FEELING

Start from the beginning

"Out, Rebekah!" Klaus snapped at her, before tossing me a towel.

___________________________

I sat on the couch downstairs in the family room, having my nails polished with Rebekah who sat beside me. Across from the two of us stood Kol - one of the once daggered siblings - before a full length mirror, staring at himself while a tailor adjusted his suit. He seemed to be Rebekah and I's age, and according to her, was the most reckless of the group.

To the other side of me were Elijah and another brother, named Finn, who seemed to be the eldest of them all. The boys all had darker colored hair, leaving Rebekah to be the only blonde, though they were all equally as strikingly beautiful, strong features.

"Rebekah?" The youngest brother asked, looking at his sister through the mirror's reflection. "Tell me how handsome I am."

Everyone in the room was getting ready for the ball tonight, that their mother was throwing as a way to start fresh in Mystic Falls. She'd invited nearly the entire town, including Elena which I figured would be interesting, considering she'd daggered Rebekah.

"Ah Kol, you know I can't be compelled." She dryly responded, making me laugh.

"Lyssa?" He questioned, turning to face me now. "What about you? What do you think?"

I laughed, glancing down at my nails before looking back up at the original. "I think I shouldn't say anything," I playfully remarked. "don't wanna make your ego any bigger than it already is."

"Oh that's not the only thing about me that's big, darling - "

"Kol!" Rebekah shouted, interrupting him, though he seemed entirely unfazed. "Gross!"

I glanced over at Rebekah, before looking back up at Kol, giggling. "Humble brag." I smiled, as he shot me a wink.

Suddenly, Klaus swiftly walked into the room. "You went after Elena?" He questioned Rebekah, stopping in front of her. "What is wrong with you?!"

I raised my brows, glancing back over at Rebekah. She'd gone after Elena? If I had any emotions, I would've been worried, would've been pissed at Rebekah, but why should I be? Elena had it coming.

And why did Klaus care about what happened to Elena? It surely wasn't because he cared about my family members, probably just because he needed her blood for more hybrids.

"Here we go."

"Do you want another dagger in your heart?" Klaus threatened, to which she simply rolled her eyes, unamused by her older brother.

"Again with the dagger threats?" Kol spoke up in her defense. "Don't you have any other tricks?"

"Oh, go back to staring at yourself." Klaus retorted, glancing back at his brother.

"And who are you," Kol continued. "my father?"

"No, Kol," The hybrid responded, turning to face his little brother. "but you're in my house."

"Then perhaps we should go outside."

They stared one another down for a moment, before someone else spoke up, entering the room. "Enough!" A woman - Esther, I realized - snapped at them. When she walked into the room, it was easy to see the power she held over them. "You must be Lyssa," Her eyes flickered past her sons, to me. "the girl that's in love with my son."

I glanced over at Klaus, who was watching me, curious as to how I'd react. I wanted to tell her that I was more than just a girl that had been in love with her psychotic son, but I also knew that Klaus had always wanted his family reunited, and so I decided to play along for now, and put on my fakest of smiles, standing up.