XII. IF LOVE BE ROUGH WITH YOU, BE ROUGH WITH LOVE

Start from the beginning

It made me think of my brother, and what he was doing right then, if he was having a good time in Colorado. I still couldn't believe that he was gone, that Elena had sent him away without asking me. I understood she had nothing but good intensions, but it still hurt not having said goodbye to him.

"Water is fine."

"Cool." Jamie got Bonnie a glass of water, which she took, taking a few sips.

"So, are we..." She trailed off. "like related?"

"Oh, no." Jamie shook his head, chuckling a little. "Abby is not my mom. She dated my old man back in the day. He's kind of a deadbeat, so when they broke up she took me in. Put me through school. Didn't freak out when I totalled her car. Twice."

"She sounds...great."

"Jamie?" We heard a woman's voice call out, walking in through the front door. "Whose car is out front?" The woman that walked in resembled Bonnie, easily deducing that it was Abby.

"That's mine." Bonnie answered, turning to face her. "I'm Bonnie. Your daughter."

"Hello, Bonnie."

___________________________

"How are you holding up?" I asked Bonnie, who stood beside Elena in the living room, holding a framed photo of Jamie in her hands. I could remember like it was just yesterday when I met my birth mother, and what a total and complete disappointment it had been to find out that she didn't care.

"I'll be fine." She sighed, glancing at me over her shoulder, before looking at Elena. "I'm not here to get my mom back, I'm just here to get her help."

"So I hope you guys are hungry," Abby called out from the kitchen, before the three of us decided to walk back in. "cause food has always been my go to ice-breaker."

"You have a really beautiful home." Elena said upon entering the room, glancing around at the decor, the smell of freshly cooked food emanating.

"You're so sweet." Abby smiled at Elena. "Just like your mom."

"You knew our mom?" I curiously asked, folding my arms over my chest.

She nodded. "Miranda was my best friend."

"So, you had a daughter and a best friend and you still left?" Bonnie snapped, and I could understand just what she was going through, exactly how she felt. Her mom left her, started a whole new life, and became somebody else's mom.

"My best friend is why I left." Abby pointed out. "Fifteen years ago a vampire came to town. Looking for you two." She looked between Elena and I. "Looking for the doppelgängers. No one could manage to kill him. So I lured him out of town and cast a spell to desiccate him in a crypt in Charlotte."

"Mikael." Elena realized. "He was an original vampire."

"It took every ounce of power I had." She continued to explain. "Almost killed me. I recovered, but my magic didn't. My powers never came back."

I let out a heavy sigh, inevitably thinking of Klaus, and just thinking of him felt like I was hit with a truck of emotions, with so much sadness, and bitterness, frustration and confusion. "I uhh - I need some air," I said, before swiftly walking outside.

Outside, I was met with the cool, crisp autumn air, letting out a sigh as I stared out at the open fields of land around me. Everything felt so still, and so calm, but the second that I shut my eyes, I was revisited by memories on top of memories, with chaos and conflict.

And I begged for it to stop, begged to be rid of every single memory of Klaus because now they were all...messed up. It was like every single happy, innocent moment with him was twisted, demented. He had been lying to me the entire time that we spent together, and still - after everything, he lied to me. But, it didn't stop me from missing him.