X. TWO HOUSEHOLDS, BOTH ALIKE IN DIGNITY

Start from the beginning

"He took them." Klaus vaguely said, before his gaze rested on mine. "Stefan took the coffins ; all of them."

I took my hand form his arm, running it through my hair as I took in what he'd just told me, letting out a heavy sigh. Stefan stealing the coffins was the last thing that any of us needed - I mean, he was as good as dead.

"Dick.."

___________________________

I didn't know where Klaus was, but I wasn't going to risk getting caught talking to who I was about to call, so I stepped into the bathroom, and turned on the sink, the stream of water muddling every other sound. I pulled my phone out from my pocket, and called Stefan, putting it up to my ear.

"Lyssa," He answered.

"What are you doing, and where the hell are you?" I quickly asked him, glancing at myself in the mirror for a second.

"I'm out, mom."

I furrowed my brows, lips parting - did I just hear him right? Was he trying to be funny, because that was not a time to make jokes, Klaus was pissed and I was worried that he'd hurt Stefan. I didn't want that to happen, not again.

Besides, I had no idea what he was planning on doing with the coffins ; with Elijah. I knew that I shouldn't have cared - hell that seemed to be the reoccurring theme in my life ; I cared too much. I just - I wanted it all to stop, I wanted the life that I had before, and not just for myself, but for everybody.

"You're not funny." I retorted, shaking my head in disbelief. "Where are you? Where are the coffins - "

"Why would I tell you?" Stefan cut me off. "So you can tell Klaus?"

I let out a sigh, not expecting that from him. Everyone else - I expected the mean comments, but from Stefan? I thought that maybe he'd at least understand where I was coming from, how hard it was for me to just let go of Klaus.

"Look, I know he deserves this, but Elijah's in one of the coffins..."

"So now you care about Elijah?"

"Klaus is gonna kill you, Stefan." I said, after we fell into silence.

"No," He replied. "he won't, because if he does, he'll never see his family again."

Stefan deserved to get his revenge, I knew he did, but I didn't want him to get killed over it. He needed to give back the coffins, and maybe we could all just compromise with one another, maybe we could just stop all of this senseless bloodshed.

Maybe I was reaching.

"Just tell me where you are."

"Goodbye, Lyssa." He sighed, before hanging up on me.

I thought things would be different now, with his humanity back on, I thought things wouldn't be distant between us, but I was wrong. Everyone was just turning their backs on me, one by one and maybe I deserved it for saving Klaus, but I didn't want to hurt them, either. I just - I wanted to be there for everyone, to be on everyone's side.

But, I couldn't do that, could I?

___________________________

I got out into the hallway, spotting Klaus sitting at the very last few steps of the staircase, his back turned to me, and it was like I could see this dark blue haze around his silhouette, his entire being radiating a calm, and almost sad energy. I didn't know why I cared so much - not then - after all that he'd done to me, but I just couldn't shake the overwhelming desire inside of me that wanted to fix him, to heal him.