VI. FOR LOVE I HANDLE YOUR SINS

Start from the beginning

"Here we are. " Caroline spoke up, half enthusiastically. "Senior year."

"Anyone else think it should feel slightly more empowering?"

"Okay." Caroline said, glancing over at us. "So prank night was a bust. But we are accepting it, and we are moving on."

Maybe they could all move on, because they hadn't done anything wrong. It wasn't like their problems weren't any less important, or valid, but they hadn't killed anyone.

"You're right." Bonnie agreed, from beside me. "I mean, why should I let the fact that my boyfriend is seeing the ghost of his dead girlfriends hinder this experience?"

"Yes!" Caroline said. "And why should I let the fact that my boyfriend was turned into a hybrid put a damper on an otherwise fabulous day?" Right, I nearly forgot. Caroline and Tyler had started dating sometime after I left.

"Today's our anniversary." Elena finally said. "Technically, Stefan and I met on the first day of school last year."

"Yeah. You win."

"Are you sure you want to be here?" I asked.

"I have to be here. I have to put it behind me." She smiled, though I could tell it was all really hard on her. I knew how hard she'd looked for Stefan, and now when he was finally back home, he didn't have his humanity. "New year. New life."

___________________________

I had stepped into the bathroom for a moment alone to collect myself, feeling antsy around so many humans. There was just so much blood in the air, so many heartbeats - it almost felt like it was my first day as a vampire all over again. I took a deep breath, as I looked at myself in the mirror, trying to assure myself that I could get through the day, that it would all be over soon enough.

I did a once over before heading out of the bathroom and into the hall, but upon turning I walked right into someone who placed their hands on my arms, stopping me, and before I even looked up, I knew exactly who it was.

"Stefan," I said, glancing from his hands up to his face, and I swore right then that all Mystic Falls was good for, was repeating it's history. I remembered that very moment so clearly, most vividly out of every single second of my life. "you're here.."

"Where else would I be?" He replied, dryly, almost like it was a joke as his hands fell from my arms. "I couldn't miss my hundredth first day of senior year." I sighed, looking at a group of students walking by us to get to their classes, not knowing what to say to him. It was my first time seeing him since last night - he seemed so devoid of all and every bit of what made him Stefan, and he'd barely said a thing. "This is funny," he smiled. "We actually met like this last year."

"Sort of." I replied, deciding to go along with him. "Except last year, I was walking out of the men's bathroom."

He smile turned into a smirk, looking impressed. "You remember."

"Of course I do." I said, almost a little too quickly, and then it got awkward, for me at least. Stefan didn't seem to sense a second of tension, completely amused, not taking his eyes off me, so strangely observant.

"You know, I'm kind of surprised that Klaus didn't compel you." Stefan said. "I guess he really does have feelings for you.. I have to admit, I'm kind of jealous." He teased, before walking past me to go to class, leaving me completely confused, and flustered.