"We should make it quick, we have to leave soon" Elena muttered, looking around, attempting to find the dark hair of her friend.

"Of course" he said softly, leading her out the door. Elena caught Caroline's eyes as they walked past. The vampire gave her a questioning glance, to which Elena nodded, she could handle this. She'd have to at some point anyway. Best clear the air before getting Mr. Hopkins back. They didn't need any distractions.

As they left the motel room and walked towards the parking lot, Elena crossed her arms, and leaned against the wall. Borra sighed as he saw the look on her face. She wasn't happy but at the very least she was willing to listen.

"I understand humans do no have mates, would you like to know what they are?" He asked attempting to keep his voice gentle and the nervousness at bay. Elena sighed as she looked at him.

"Yea, but the short version, we don't have much time" Elena said her voice already showing fatigue. She'd been up nearly 16 hours with no sleep, either fighting for her life or worrying for Bonnie's.

"A mate is what your people would likely call a soulmate, they are who the Fates think is your perfect pair, wether platonic or otherwise" he said softly.

Elena nodded, relief flooding through her at that, at least she wouldn't be forced into loving someone. This could just mean they're going to become best friends. The voice in the back of her mind scoffed. Friends don't look at friends that way.

"How do you know? How long have you known?" She asked suddenly, attempting to rid those thoughts from her mind. Borra nodded slightly as he looked at her.

"I've known since you pointed a sword at my throat" he muttered, making the doppelgänger chuckle. She remembered that. Bonnie was missing and she had gotten desperate.

"I got too close, you got out" she muttered making him smile. He nodded softly, taking another small step forward.

"You've learned" he said softly, making her look up at him. He was too close, somehow walking closer and closer, without her even realizing it. He was so close she barely had to reach out to touch him.

"You haven't told me how you know" Elena said leaning back slightly. Trying to put a bit of distance between them.

"Well, to be clear, not everyone has the same mark" he told her, causing Elena to frown in confusion. "Some have their mates first words on their skin, others have markings, a string connecting them, some know by touch or smell, the list goes on" he says waving a hand. Elena nodded as she looked at him.

"And how did you know?" She asked softly. Borra sighed as he held out a hand, motioning for her to give him her hand, which she did. Albeit, reluctantly.

"We have marks, you have my family name on your skin, and I have yours" he said, gently swiping a thumb over her wrist. Elena's eyes widened as she looked at her wrist. Golden words glowed brightly against her skin.

 Golden words glowed brightly against her skin