Clearing her throat, Aelin said, "You may as well get Amren, I doubt I'll want to repeat this conversation, and I'm sure she'll have something obnoxious to add."

Amren, appearing out of nowhere, chuckled. "How you know me so well, Firebringer." Aelin snarled half heartedly. "I see my little push to expose your power went swimmingly."

Cassian sucked in a sharp breath. "Seriously, Amren? That was you?"

She rolled her eyes. "Well, how else were we going to get this alliance moving in a timely manner?"

Aelin growled at her "Yes of course, let's put innocent people at risk for the sake of the timeline. You're just like your sisters aren't you." I never thought I would hear the day my court was called innocent. But looking around I could see the rest of the court was still as lost as I was.

Amren paused, more serious than I had ever seen her. Locking eyes with Aelin she shared, "I know that trust does not come easily to you, Aelin, and for good reason." She glanced quickly at Rowan and both he and Aelin growled. How she and Amren could go toe to toe made even more sense after the glimpse of her immense power. "Because of this, I will share something, Nameless. You were not the first price."

Confusion bloomed as I watched Aelin completely shut down any and all emotion on her face. Even Rowan looked lost, staring at the young Queen as if he wanted to rip her secrets directly from her head - I knew the feeling well.

"I do not condone the actions of my siblings. And neither does Mala." Aelin's eyes widened imperceptibly and Rowan looked up at Amren in shock. "I did not know this when you first arrived, but Mala sent you here, to me and my court, in an attempt to change your fate. You will not believe this now, but you have important allies here."

"And what, I'm just supposed to spill all my deep dark secrets in the hope that it will change?" Aelin snarked, "I already know my path Lani. Why do you think I was at Mistward to begin with?" She laughed darkly. "Nothing will change that and I refuse to allow another to suffer again in my place."

I shook internally at the devastating grief in her eyes. Again I wondered what exactly this young female had been through in her short life.

Amren replied in the softest, most gentle voice I had ever heard from her. "Not everything, Elentyia, but give them something and I promise it will not be for nothing."

I narrowed my eyes as both Aelin and Rowan stiffened at the name. Just how many names and titles did this girl have?

Aelin closed her eyes and tilted her head back, seemingly grappling with her thoughts. Without consciously thinking, I sent a wave of reassurance down the bond and smiled when she relaxed minutely. I felt sharp gazes from my brothers and Rowan but refused to look away from Aelin.

She laughed humorlessly. "Well, I suppose since I'm already here....it all started with a young princess who loved her kingdom very much."

As Aelin told her story, I felt shock settle heavily among my court. The only ones who were not surprised were Amren and Rowan. It appeared that even though they were not on good terms, the male knew the bare bones of her past. And that is all we were getting, I was sure of it.

Even then, her past was as remarkable as it was horrific. To go from a young princess whose power terrified those around her, to a famed assassin at just 17, without the use of her magic. Her brief mention of a year spent in slavery roused the most feral part of me to make those responsible pay. At that part Cassian stood, snarling and pacing.

Aelin sat, calmly waiting for him to relax as if her stark history meant nothing to her, but I could see the shadows in her eyes. Shadows that reminded me so clearly of my time under the mountain. Yet, even then, I was a powerful fae. Aelin had been captured with nothing more than her human skin to defend her, she was astounding. Then to become the champion of a king who had destroyed her kingdom and travel to the land of the fae to master her power. I had never dreamed of a more exceptional being.

I was starkly reminded of her words in the clearing. She had gone her whole life being taught that her only value was that of a weapon. The pain in Rowan's eyes had been clear as day and I somehow knew that he was a part of that opinion. Narrowing my eyes at him I swore to do everything in my power to show her that her worth went far beyond what she could do. From the understanding and sorrow that emanated from my court, it was clear that the rest of my family shared my opinion.

Azriel

I sat, stunned, as Aelin shared an overview of her life with us. This ethereal little creature had been through more pain and suffering in her short life than some fae had in hundreds of years. And I knew just by looking at her that this was just the surface of all that she had experienced. I had never felt as intense a draw to someone before and I knew that without a doubt I would do everything in my power to see her through this pain and help her emerge victorious.

"To sum it up, currently the King of Adarlan is working with Valg forces to conquer Erilea and enslave the people of the continent. I have vowed to save my kingdom, the kingdom of my friend and defeat them, and then I will return the gods to their home realm." She finished. Somehow I doubted it would be that simple.

Opening my mind to Rhys, I stated, I will do everything in my power to help her, with or without your blessing.

Cassian growled his agreement and I felt waves of determination stemming from Mor.

Rhys nodded sharply. The Night Court is at her disposal, he stated mind to mind. We will do everything we can to help her. He seemed to hesitate and then added softly, and remind her of her value as a person.

Relief shuddered through me as Cassian growled, I personally volunteer to rip Rowan apart limb from limb as he clearly affirmed that ludicrous opinion in her mind.

To my surprise, even Mor snarled her agreement to that over our mental link.

Amren chuckled and told Aelin, "You appear to have won over my court. I recommend we retire for the remainder of the night and begin to plan tomorrow."

Aelin blinked in shock before nodding. Exhaustion filled her stance as she began to move towards her rooms.

Hesitantly, Rhysand softly asked "Aelin. If you pull back your mental shields slightly I can help with any nightmares." Aelin narrowed her eyes at him and he quickly continued, "I know the exhaustion of not sleeping through the night. I swear I will not touch your mind for any other reason just - please, please let me help." He whispered out desperately.

Caution lined Aelin's gaze as she watched him before a glimmer of understanding broke through. She nodded her acceptance and continued on, with Rowan following closely after her. I felt a growl rise in my throat as I watched him, taking a step forward before Cassian laid his hand on my arm.

"I wouldn't worry too much, brother. I doubt she will let him get away with anything at the moment." He chuckled darkly. Smiling grimly I nodded my agreement.