"Only you can pay it"

Wanda shakes her head and pulls out of his grasp. She walks to the back of the room, her arms crossed over her stomach. I walk over after her, not saying a word but instead simply placing my arm around her shoulders. She doesn't need pretty, sugar-coated words right now. She just needs to know that someone is there.

"Thanos is going to wipe out half of the universe, one life cannot stand in the way of defeating him" Vision announces.

"But it should" Steve pipes up, sending a charged glance Vision's way, "We don't trade lives"

"Seventy years ago you laid down your life to save millions more, how is this any different?" Vision asks. Before Steve can respond, Bruce's eyes widen and he jumps into the conversation.

"Because you might have a choice," Bruce informs, walking up to the pair, "You mind is made up of a complex contract of overlays. Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, me, the stone. All of them are mixed and learning from one another"

At this, Wanda turns around and looks at Bruce. I pull my hand back, turning with her to observe the group.

"You're saying that Vision isn't just the stone?" She asks hopefully.

"I'm saying that if we take out the stone, there's still a whole lot of Vision left, perhaps the best parts" he responds.

"Can we do that?" Nat asks, looking between Steve and him.

"Not me, not here" he sighs, looking down at his hands.

"Well you better find someone and somewhere fast, Ross isn't just going to let you guys have your old rooms back" Rhodes interjects.

Steve and I aren't listening, though. We both look at each other and the moment our eyes connect, I know that we are sharing the same thought. I nod to him and he nods back.

"I'm sorry, you guys wanna let us in on your little weird mental conversation?" Sam pipes up, looking between us with confusion. Steve and I look towards the group.

"We know somewhere" I state, making the group share intrigued glances.

"Where?" Bruce asks, looking absolutely lost.

Steve and I share another look before we look back at the group.

"Wakanda"

|||

"You could try to look a little less excited about this"

I look over at Sam, an amused smile on my face. Our Quinjet is pulling up right in front of the palace where T'Challa, Okoye, and a collection of Dora Milaje wait for us.

"I can't help it, Sam," I inform, unbuckling from my seat and standing as the jet touches down to the ground, "You never know what goodbye is your last, so saying hello means the world to me"

As Sam stands from his seat, I watch understanding flicker through his gaze. I speak broadly, but he knows that I mean something much more specific. I lost my family and didn't get a proper goodbye. I lost Dean moments after we had reunited. I can't afford to lose Bucky, especially if I don't have time to say goodbye.

The back hatch to the jet lowers, letting a blast of air rush through our group as we walk out of the jet. Steve, Nat, and I walk out in the front, and a smile curls onto my lips at the sight of my dear friend.

"It seems I am always thanking you for something" Steve states, shaking hands with T'Challa.

"It's nice to see you've returned safely, the White Wolf will be happy" T'Challa remarks when he turns to me. I shake his hand and smile.