09 | Unplanned events

Start from the beginning

The omega snagged his bottom lip between his teeth, rubbing the flesh with the sharp point of his canine, wearing a thoughtful grimace. He switched his eyes from Jungkook to Jimin, searching for a second opinion. "Do you think it's a good idea?" he asked, observing the latter's reaction.

"He'll be the one to carry you, not me." Jimin exhaled sharply and sat back down, lowering his lids to let his eyes rest for a bit. "Well, if everything is settled, I think tomorrow morning we can go."

Both Jungkook and Taehyung hummed in agreement, but deep down they had buried their insecurities, hoping for everything to go well.

***

The sky was blue with wispy clouds drifting about. It was an early hour in the morning, before the birds had started to chirp their happy songs. The cozy cabin was quiet, the faint sound of footsteps could be heard around the rooms. Taehyung was still caught wandering around the cottage, an unfamiliar heaviness rested on his chest, causing his heart to clench painfully.

Jungkook and Jimin were waiting outside for him, giving the omega some time to say goodbye to his home before they had to leave.

He continued to dart around the common and dining areas, eyes scanning every surface he saw. The sun shined brightly enough to make the shapes in the rooms clear, reflecting a nice yellow color over the furniture.

A howl was heard from the distance, causing the omega to snap out of his daydream and remember that they were running out of time. Taehyung inhaled a shaky breath and rolled his neck, there was no going back. He would do this. He would not be afraid and weak in the face of fear.

Or at least he would try his damned best.

He went in the corridor and pushed the front door open. Dusty, early-morning sunlight filtered through the canopy and spilled down on him, illuminating the small burlap pack he carried slung over his shoulders. The pack was old and well-worn; years of heavy use had rubbed frayed holes in its sides and dirt settled deep in the stitches of the fabric, but Taehyung carried it with care all the same.

He shifted it up higher onto his shoulder as he swirled on his tiptoes to glance at the two wolves.

The one with the jet-black fur was Jungkook, and the second one with the silver coat was Jimin. They both bored their hazel eyes at him, patiently waiting for the omega to get closer.

Taehyung heaved a sigh and glanced one more time at the house.

The cottage stood alone in a large clearing, surrounded by flowers of every color, sending pollen up into the spring sunshine. The thatch roof blended into nature the way he loved, the way which made him feel like he was part of something bigger. Small stained-glass windows peaked through the vine-covered walls, and at night you could see candles lining the windowsills, illuminating the night garden with dancing colors.

The omega gasped in surprise when something soft touched his palm, looking down to see how Jungkook was sniffling his hand. A small smile reached all the way up to his eyes, making his honey blond hair skim just below the eyebrows.

Tentatively, he combed his slender fingers through the raven fur right behind Jungkook's ears, massaging one of his favorite spots gently. The alpha wiggled his tail in a happy motion, rubbing his snout at Taehyung's side, granting himself a melodious giggle.

A loud bark torn through the air, causing both of them to stop in their halt and look at the silver wolf. Jungkook let out a huff of displeasure while Taehyung simply chuckled.

"Fine, I get it. Stop being so grumpy." The omega rolled his eyes and then shifted his gaze to the other alpha who lowered his body to the ground so he could climb on top of him.

Very carefully Taehyung threw his leg over Jungkook's back, grabbing a fistful of his fur. He practically fell onto the wolf, who took the extra weight without flinching. Legs came to grip at the heaving flanks, and he wrapped his arms around the thick hide, face pressing into soft fur.

The omega yelped in surprise when the alpha suddenly stood on his four feet, not giving him the much-needed time to adjust in his seat.

"You did it on purpose." He exclaimed, catching the glimpse of playfulness that danced in Jungkook's eyes.

He huffed out another grumpy remark and tried to get as comfortable as possible on the wolf's back, not wanting to fall off and make himself a fool in front of the two alphas.

A growl rippled through them as Jungkook prepared to move, something which could very well have been a message.

'Hold on tight.'

And it broke into a run. Wild, powerful. Muscles rippled under Taehyung's hands.

The omega held tightly onto him, narrowing his eyes as the cold wind hit his body with full force, causing his orbs to wet. He missed the feeling of sprinting off into the woods, the way his sharp claws crunched the withered leaves beneath his paws, the occasional howls he would let out due to the happiness that came from this very action.

The laugh that left his lungs felt therapeutic in a way. He was aware he had no idea what was waiting ahead of them, but being on the road, fresh air in his lungs and riding a wolf into the unknown—he couldn't keep the smile from his face. Especially being with these two—he wanted to enjoy it as much as he could, this simple sense of freedom.