The 100th Episode

Lot 12, Studio City, California

October 2012

-and cut!" the director, Marc Oscar, declares. "That's a wrap, people!"

At his words, someone initiates a 'whoop' that is quickly swallowed up by a round of applause. Cast and crew turn to whoever's closest to them to offer a smile as the applause grows to a swell. A stagehand wheels a cake onto the set. People crowd around, the cast naturally move to the front, while the crew hovers behind them, in the background, but still a very big part of the moment. The cake is a spectacularly intricate multi-layered sheet cake with the royal blue and gold of James Mercer Freeman High serving as the background and trim. Except for the "100" that forms the stairs of the hallway, the cake is a mini-replica of the J.M.F.H. school set, down to the last detail. Silence falls as people look in awe, not of the cake, but of everything the moment represents.

A knife is placed into the showrunner, Victor Newley's, ready hands. "100 episodes," he says, wonder filling his voice. He gives some time to let the words settle with all present. "Before I cut this bitch up-" His waiting audience laughs indulgently. Victor claps his hands together, extending them out to the people around him. "I just want to say 'thank you'." There is a surprising warmth to his words that's outside his character. His eyes are tearing. "Thank you! I'm so grateful to have such a fantastic cast," he gestures towards a few of the actors and actresses, "a phenomenal crew," his words are mostly directed at the cameramen, "and an outstanding creative team," a nod to the writers, "without whom we would have never made it to this point. These past five years have been amazing. We have truly become," he humbly bows his head a little, "family."

Victor owns the moment. "We wouldn't be here today without everyone present. This moment is for you! Soak it in!" There's cheers and applause following his statement. "Here's to another 100 episodes!"

There's more applause, then one last pause so that the cast and crew can all gather around the cake for pictures. Victor cuts the first slice of cake. After the picture is taken, he steps back so the catering assistant can wheel the rest of the cake away for it to be cut more precisely. It's a small wait before uniform pieces are laid out on a table in front of the station. More food and alcohol await in the wings ready to be devoured by the many people anxious to celebrate this milestone.

Victor uploads the cast photo with his tweet. Just when he's about to put his hands on a slice of cake Ikenna whispers in his ear, "It's official: 'There on My Own' is now enjoying its second week at the # 2 spot on iTunes, and 'Wide Awake' didn't even make the top 40. They just don't like the new kids."

Victor pockets his phone and looks at the numbers Ikenna presents. "I see." The news that one of their original singles placed at the top of the charts is pleasing, but that "Wide Awake" hadn't played to the trend that Victor didn't want to accept: the audience wasn't buying the new kids. He knew something had to be done about that because if they continued to see the ratings steadily drop like they'd been for the past few months the studio wasn't going to renew the show for another season. "But they like Paisley?"

Ikenna laughs. "Oh, god, they love her! The more our little princess acts the ass, the more they want of it!"

While the cast and crew celebrate, the social media interns capture the festivities to later upload for the fans. Paisley is too busy commanding the attention of the people surrounding her to pay attention to the two showrunners discussing her. She holds her audience captive as she recounts for them the most recent of her exploits to end up on the front pages of the gossip rags. For the first time in a long time, she looks almost normal. Her once long blond hair is currently short, choppy and ended in pink highlights, but it wasn't as attention grabbing as it had been. The same couldn't be said about her off-set antics.