THIRTYEIGHT

It was starting to get dark when everybody left the woods after spending the day in the woods. A yawn rolled over Catherine's lips, and she slowly closed the gap between the car she sat in and the car in front of her. It was just her luck; she ended up in a long traffic jam, the snow didn't make it better.

She looked in the mirror to find out Marcus had fallen asleep as well. She looked next to her and noticed Callum was still sleeping. It was a tough day, and it showed. Catherine noticed how tired Callum and Marcus were, and she had some energy left, so she offered to drive them home. The public transport was still running, so she would use the train to get home since this was the car of Callum. Catherine's eyes fell on Poppy, who was laying on Callum's lap, she was also asleep.

"Amazing company," Catherine smirked. "Go on, keep driving," she mumbled, annoyed when the car in front of her wasn't paying attention to the traffic.

It was a fun day, it secretly got better when Poppy, Callum and Marcus joined the group. They sledged for a while, even had a race who could sledge as fastest of the hill, drank some hot chocolate and just laughed.

Marcus cleared his throat and looked around him, only to found out the car barely moved from the moment he fell asleep to now. He yawned and cleared his throat. "It's not getting better, isn't it? The traffic?"

"No, not really," Catherine replied and sighed. "But it should be over in a couple of metres, so let's hope for the best."

"Hmm-hmm," he hummed. "So you and Callum... It's getting serious..." Marcus began. He saw Catherine nodding. "You two are on good terms, right? After what happened?"

"Yeah, we talked and cleared things," Catherine softly answered, she had no idea if this was a positive or negative conversation. "I know you don't like me because of that situation..."

Marcus rubbed his eyes. "It's not that I don't like you, it's just... Callum has been hurt in the past, and it really affected him. He doesn't deserve to get treated like shit."

"Absolutely not, he's one of the most beautiful and purest persons I've ever met. What happened last year, it wasn't my attention to hurt him or to act this way. I was really lost after the accident, and I know it's not an acceptable excuse." Catherine swallowed hard. "I still feel so bad about it, I'm still feeling sorry about it."

"Yeah..." Marcus nodded and looked at the mirror to look at Catherine, she really seemed upset about it. "I'm sorry I gave you the feeling I disliked you."

Catherine pressed a thin smile on her lips and was shaking her head. "You're the best friend. I would do the same if I had the same position as you, I don't blame you for it."

The way Catherine spoke and apologised, did something to Marcus. It really wasn't her attention, she was still sorry and upset about it. Even with these fewer words she spoke, Marcus could see it. "I've seen you with Callum today, and you are not a person who would hurt him, you two are so in love and so soft together. Besides that, Callum couldn't shut up about you when we were in Maranello," Marcus chuckled and ran his hand through his hair. "But if you will hurt him again, I will kill you."

The shy smile on Catherine's face changed into a serious look. "Yes, of course," she replied. "I mean, I don't want to get killed, but I get the message," she stammered.

"Good," he said, satisfied. "By the way, do you mind stopping at the supermarket for a bit? We still have to do the groceries, and we can't order takeaway because we are on a strict diet now." A yawn escaped his lips. "Do you fancy staying over for dinner?"

Catherine got a bit surprised by his question, there were so many emotions in one minute. "Uh...sure?"

Marcus nodded and ran his hand through his hair. "Do you know healthy takeaway addresses?" A polite, but forced smile curved on his lips. "I don't want to make dinner, I'm too tired."