Rough Tides and Car Rides

Start from the beginning

     "Yeah... kickin' and passin' and soccer balls. It's the best!"

     "Don't worry." Vanessa piped in. "I hate soccer too."

      "Well. I happen to like it." Brittany shrugged.

      "She's lying." Anna said, sitting down next to Brittany and handing her a drink.

       "So you just come for Lucas?" Brittany asked, shooting Anna a strange look.

      "I suppose." Vincent shrugged. "It's kind of a tradition for us."

"Since when?" Brittany asked. "I hadn't noticed you last year?"

"I'm a freshman, I didn't go last year."Vincent shrugged. "Besides, I sorta blend in."

"Oh? We're you going from the start this year?"

"No. I missed one or two at the start."

"The ones Lucas played bad at?" Brittany asked, and Vincent's eyes enlarged. He knew exactly what she was suggesting.

      "No.. well yes, but I'm not... if you're suggesting that—" Vincent rambled.

      "So, did you happen to get a chance to talk to Lucas about what I said?" Brittany quickly shifted the topic.

      "No, I uh... I thought I said, well I don't really.. feel very comfortable with that."

      "You should tell him." Brittany said firmly, her eyes narrowing.

       "I.. sure." Vincent slumped defeatedly.

      "Good."

      He spoke to nobody else for the duration of the game. He was mortified by his conversation and knew if he started talking he might say something else to upset the girls. The game dragged on just a little longer past Vincent's interaction, but was a decided victory for Lucas and the boys.

     Vincent waited for Brittany and her friends to exit the stands before going himself. When Lucas saw him, his face lit up and he marched right over.

     "Hey!" Lucas called excitedly. "What's wrong?"

     "Nothing." Vincent lied once again.

     "Hey Lucas! Good to see you! And oh, Vincent! Good to see you too." Brittany grinned.

     "Yeah." Lucas mumbled unenthusiastically. "Vincent and I were just going to head out."

     "No way! So were Tom and I." She gestured to her annoyed looking boyfriend. "I was talking to Vincent loads in the stands!"

      "About what?" Lucas asked, curiosity peaked.

      "Oh, I'm sure he'll fill you in." Brittany smiled. "Well. We should get going. Nice running into you."

      "What was that about?" Lucas asked.

      "Nothing."

      "Oh come on, it was clearly something."

"Get in the car." Vincent ordered, entering the passenger seat himself.

"I don't see why you can't just tell me? Was it something uncomfortable?" Lucas asked.

"Yes." Vincent sighed heavily. "She wanted me to tell you that if you ever wanted to, she's dump Tom for you, are you happy?"

"Ha!" Lucas laughed as he pulled from the athletic complex lot. "She really said that? Like with a straight face?"

"Stop Lucas, it's not funny."

"It's kinda funny." Lucas insisted. "Don't you think it's kinda funny?"

"No. She was being very strange... it was like she knew something."

"Something like what?"

    "I dunno. She just seemed off. I don't like her."

      "I gathered as much." Lucas joked. "So where do you want for dinner, just a chain?"

     "Sure. What's near here?" Vincent asked, absentmindedly staring out the windows. Trees and other cars rushed past the window whizzing by.

"I'm not sure... I think there's a... Panera.." Lucas paused to look out the window.

      "Lucas! Car!" Vinny shouted, noticing a car coming up behind them as they shifted over. Lucas face filled with horror and he grabbed the wheel, turning it to the side and pulled them over, just out of the way as the car darted past. A few seconds later and there would have been a collision.

     Lucas sat in silence for a second, accompanied only by Vincent's labored breathing. He couldn't believe he'd been so stupid as to almost get them killed. A spit second look had almost cost them dearly.

     "Lucas are you alright?" Vincent asked to no reply. "Lucas!"

     Lucas continued to stare out the window, no emotion present on their face. It was the calm after a storm, the feeling when something terrible almost happened and you have a moment to reflect. There were a million shades of disbelief floundering around his mind.

     "Lucas! Lucas, we're alright." Vinny assured. "Everything is alright."

      "You drive home." Lucas got out of the car without another word and Vincent and him switched seats. Vincent pulled out of the shoulder and back onto the road carefully, and they drove the rest of the way home in complete silence, not bothering to stop to eat.