Rough Tides and Car Rides

Start from the beginning

     The sky was threatening snow, but Vincent had come fully bundled in preparation. He only worried about Lucas, who though he had under armor and gloves, would be out on the field exposed to the weather. The other college was big, bigger than theirs, more modern too, and their field had a big glass athletic center to the front of it with their locker rooms in the back.

Lucas liked to get to games early, so there were not very many other people in the parking lot as Lucas grabbed his bag from the trunk. Vinny trailed slightly, then caught up with the boy to the front. Lucas took Vinny's hand and they walked together. Being early also had the added benefit of giving them more time to be alone.

"Wish me luck?" Lucas asked as he got to the locker room door.

"Always."

"Good." Lucas smiled, then his face turned serious and he looked from side to side. Upon confirming that there were no onlookers, Lucas broke into a grin and pulled Vincent in for a final kiss.

"Lucas!" Vinny mumbled as they became entangled again. "Somebody might see."

"Let them."

They were strong words, but a locker slamming inside turned Lucas serious again, and betrayed his hesitancy.

"You know what I'll miss once we tell people?" Lucas asked.

"What?"

"I'll miss sneaking around... I'll miss feeling like we've got some special secret, just the two of us.... It's romantic." Lucas held Vincent's hand gently in his own. "It's like we're spies."

"You're a dork." Vincent chuckled. "I should get out to the stands."

"You should." Lucas said, but neither boy moved.

"I don't want to." Vincent whispered.

"I bet I want you to less." Lucas pulled Vincent in for a final small kiss. "Bye."

"Bye." Vincent nodded, offering Lucas' hand a small squeeze, and then made his way back out to the stands. It was a chilly day, as predicted, and he snuggled closer to his coat. Watching Lucas play soccer had become one of his favorite pastimes; the moment Lucas came out he would beam with pride. Such a strong, confident, athletic person, and he chose Vincent. It made Vincent feel like the most special person in the world, though Lucas seemed to have a special talent for that.

The student section there to support Luvas was relatively small, as not many people had made the drive out there. When Lucas came on the field, though, he still received a hardy cheer from the stands. It wasn't estimated to be a difficult game, in fact the other team was thought to be the easiest to beat in the whole playoff season. Vincent was still nervous. Lucas wanted this, though he never would admit it to Vincent. Lucas absolutely wanted it.

As the game progressed, Vincent's nerves proved unfounded, and he began to relax. The team's lead expanded handsomely and Vincent fell into an easy countenance.

"Hey! Vincent!" A voice called, and Vincent turned around to see Brittany. He had to scream at his face not to frown, and try and arrange his features into something resembling happiness that she was there.

      "Hi Brittany." Vincent said, his voice fake as plastic. "How's it going?"

      "Awful. I'm freezing." Brittany complained. "Anna went to get me some hot chocolate. You know, I've just got to be here for my Tom."

      "Of course." Vincent's mouth formed a tight line.

     "You seem to be here a lot. You must really like soccer, I feel like I always see you." Brittany continued with her unwanted small talk.