Introducing the Crew

Ryker's P.O.V:

July 15th, 1939, Ostrava, Germany:

I arrived at the camp via train at 0620 to be assigned to my crew. I picked up my bags, 2 duffle bags, one with clothes, and the other with supplies and equipment I would need later on. I turned my head over my shoulder, and there she was. My very own tank.

I walked over to the flatbed and started to inspect the exterior to make sure it was not damaged during the journey

I walked over to the flatbed and started to inspect the exterior to make sure it was not damaged during the journey. I look over to see a couple of soldiers unhooking it from the car, and give me the thumbs up to get inside. I climb up the side and tie my bags onto the back via a cable tightly strung along the engine roof.

"Hope this thing has good ventilation," I think as I squeeze my way into the commander's cupola. A man then slides in through the driver's hatch and starts the engines of the tank. A low rumble can be heard as the engine putters and slowly turns on.

"You ready?" he asks as I get positioned. I nod, and he pushes the right stick forward, turning the tank to the left, and he drives off the flatbed. I direct him to my designated spot on the field, and a few seconds later, we arrive. The man gets out of the tank and informs me that my crew will be arriving shortly. I stand up, allowing my upper torse to be above the cupola.

~10 minutes later~

After waiting for what seemed to be an eternity, I see two other men in clean black tanker suits strutting over to me. They both have smiles on their faces and have their blonde hair neatly combed back. Their gloves are in one hand, and they both have hats tucked under their arm. The one of the left is tall for a tanker, maybe 5'10 and the one on the right is obviously younger, sporting the childish look of amazement when he finally gets up close to the tank.

"They seem very disciplined" I note as they make it to the base of the tank. They click the heels of their boots and salute. I salute back at them and introduce myself.

"I am Ryker Becker, rank Unteroffizer (lance-sergeant), commander of tank number 304. Welcome to the crew."

"I am George Müller, rank Oberschütze (senior private). I am to be your driver sir!" says the tallest one.

"Leon Meyer. Rank: Obergefreiter (corporal). I am to be your loader sir!" says the shorter one, obviously very nervous with the way he stands and speaks.

"Nice to meet you both," I say as I pull myself out of the tank. I show them their places in the tank, and as they are inspecting their areas, I get my bags from the engine cover. "Are you two familiar with your stations?"

"Yes sir!" answer both of them as they climb out of the tank.

"Good. Then let's head to the barracks and get situated. I sense a long journey for the three of us in the future" I say as I lead the three of them back.

Word Count: 528