(Part 3)

With your backpacks in the backseat and your seats buckled, you begin your trip to Hange's house. She has a playlist playing that consisted of older rock music including artists like Elton John, Nirvana, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and many others. Before you can focus on the music, she breaks the social silence. "How long has it been?" she asks. "What?" you respond even though you can assume what she's talking about. "How long has it been since we've hung out? A year? We've been attached at the hip since pre-K. Even last summer we still hung out and talked nearly 24/7. I mean you and me have made small talk in class and over text, but when did you get so far away?" 

     Her words cut deep. The guilt in your throat grew too big to swallow and too big to let you speak. You wanted to ease her stress. "She doesn't deserve the pressure of having to worry about me." you think to yourself. The air in the car feels like it almost thickened with the amount of sudden awkward tension. She's your only friend that has continuously put effort into talking to you and checking on you. What kind of friend does it make you to respond with her caring efforts with silence. 

     She realizes how uncomfortable she's made you. She breaks the silence. "It's okay. You don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable." she says with a gentle tone. "Shit. I wonder if I made her mad.", you think to yourself. "And no, I'm not mad at you." she says. This puts a smile on your face. She knows you so well she can practically read your thoughts. You spend most of the car trip to her house in silence, but it's not an awkward silence. It was a silent appreciation between you both. Just being in each others presence was enough to make you both happy.

    After a couple more minutes of driving and classic rock hits from the 80s-90s, she pulls into her driveway. Hange's house was just outside the city. She lived on an old, small piece of farmland. It was a 2 bedroom house surrounded by woods that had an old, mostly destroyed, fence that wrapped around it all. The woods on her property had a long trail where the previous owners would ride horses. On that trail you can find an old, broken down stable. Hange's family didn't have any intentions on rebuilding it or restoring the property's farmland aspects. When you were small children, you would explore the woods and go on what felt like amazing adventures. You would fight imaginary beasts and build campsites out of sticks and mud. You would spend hours together surrounded by those trees. There was also an abundance of life in the woods. Deer, coyotes, rabbits, and many other woodland creatures. This is also why Hange was excited to help you with your extra credit. In her nature filled woods, it was never hard to come across the remains of something. As kids, you would pretend to be archeologists discovering new dinosaur bones.

     She unlocks the front door and you both walk inside. Her house was quiet since both of her parents were at work and she didn't have siblings. Once you enter her room, it is no longer silent. In the corner of Hange's room was a large rat cage with her two ratty babies. They were at the door of their cages, excitingly waiting for attention. "Sawney! Bean! Hello babies!" she says as she opens their wire door and lets them out. She always had a deep love for her pets. Their obvious love for her proved that she took great care of them. You watch and laugh as the rodents crawl on her and into her arms. You reach over and begin to pet one of them. "It's been a while since they've seen you. They missed you." she says with a smile on her face. The furry little rodent crawls into your hand and you hold it close, making sure it doesn't fall. After a couple more minutes of playing with them, she gives them both and treat and puts them both in their cage.

     "We better get started before the sun goes down. I'll go grab some gloves and a bag and we can head out and start lookin' for some bones.", she says with a little too much excitement. You sigh and begin to prepare yourself for the gross task at hand. While the idea of going into the woods to collect bones seems pretty nasty, you know Hange will find a way to make it fun. "Alright. I've got all the supplies we need!", she says with a large grin on her face. She wraps one arms around yours and begins to march forward. "To the woods!" she cries out as you make your way to the back door.