Chapter Twenty-Two

Friday had come and Y/N found an old dress that would have to suffice. She tailored it a little trying to make it somewhat more fancy, but deep down she knew it was not going to be close to the hundreds of rich people dressed in gold and diamonds.

She said she didn't care, but deep down she wasn't truly ready to be judged and looked at like she was less than all those people.

As for how the night was going to go, Y/N would be showing up later than Bucky and their friends.

Bucky fought her on it saying that he would wait to show up when she could, but she refused. He wasn't going to be late to his own charity gala just because she had a late meeting with her boss. It was a long discussion, but she was finally able to convince him that she would be fine.

He was the boss of one of the two main companies hosting this charity event. Meaning he had to be there early, and if he showed up the same time as her, he would be a whole hour late.

So after much convincing the night before, Y/N told Bucky she would meet up with him and the crew as soon as she was off work and dressed to go.

Racing home a whole 30 minutes earlier than she expected, she quickly took advantage of the extra time and showered, blow dried her hair, and threw a robe on as she ran to her room to change. But when she came to her room for the first time that evening, she saw a gift box on the bed.

"What the..." She walked over seeing a giant yellow ribbon on the floral print box. Clearly whoever picked the wrapping knew her. On it a small note under the ribbon.

Got a call from a friend you needed a dress for tonight. Lucky for you, I treat my gal right. Don't worry about the amount and please don't hate me for buying this for you. Let me spoil you when I want sometimes, Sassy.

-Much Much Love,

B

    (P.S. I haven't seen it yet, but I know as long as you're in it, it'll be perfect. Can't wait...)

A smile formed on her lips as she read the sweet note. She wanted to be upset about it, but how could she when clearly Bucky just wanted to do something so very sweet for her. She shook her head as she let out a small laugh before undoing the ribbon.

And there it was. The one and only dress. Perfectly folded. Perfectly glowing in the lowlights of the evening.

"I want to be mad at you James Buchanan Barnes, but I honestly don't know what to say," she sighed with a soft chuckle as she felt a single tear go down her face in happiness. Breaking her from the moment was a text from Steve, telling her to text him when she was on her way. "Shit, I have to get ready!"

She quickly did her hair and makeup and carefully put the expensive dress on. Gentle not to wrinkle or stretch it. She went to her jewelry box and grabbed some gold bracelets and threw on some sun ray earrings.

Giving herself one more look in the mirror, she smiled, happy at the finished product. Bucky wasn't ready for this little showstopper to arrive.

She grabbed a cab knowing Bucky had his car and they would most likely come back in that. She watched as the city lights passed her, and for some reason, nerves started working their way through her body.

All her friends would be there in support of Bucky, and they still hadn't shared anything about their relationship. She wanted to be comfortable with Bucky tonight and not secretive. She was tired of hiding it if she was being honest. But she wasn't going to push it if he wasn't ready yet. This was all about them doing it together.