nine | good to see you again

Nayeon and Haejun step into the shopping centre, where the young boy has fallen asleep on her back.

"Baby, we're here." Nayeon proceeds to turn the boy around, moving him from her back to her chest area so she can hold on to him better.

Tired, and since the boy is still asleep, Nayeon decides to sit down for a little break.

The large water fountain behind her overpowers the sound of people who are shopping, and so she feels at ease here.

"Nayeon unnie?"

Nayeon opens her eyes to see Mina standing in front of her in casual clothes, compared to the branded clothing she had worn back in high school.

"Mina? Why are you here?" Nayeon holds Haejun's head so he doesn't fall. "Aren't you working today?"

Mina shakes her head and proceeds to sit down next to Nayeon. "It's my day off today, so I just decided to go shopping for a bit. I see Haejun's asleep."

Nayeon chuckles. "Yeah, well, I had to piggyback him from his school because his shoes are too small for him. We actually came here to buy him shoes, but I guess I'll have to wait a while."

"I'll wait with you." Mina offers.

"No, no, you go do your shopping. I don't wanna disturb your fun." Nayeon smiles.

"Unnie, it's fine. There's nothing much I really wanted to buy anyways. I just came here to relax, most of all." Mina grins, and then pokes Haejun's cheeks. "So who's the father, then? His other facial features seem really familiar."

"I don't think you know him," Nayeon takes a look at her son. "But his dad's name is Kang Dongho. To be honest, I chose the name because Dongho had to leave for Italy and we didn't have that much of a good communication system."

Mina feels something clicking in her brain, but she's still trying to figure out exactly what it is.

"So you were never in a relationship with him? And then he just moved to Italy?"

Nayeon nods. "Well, we tried to date, but we realised that there wasn't much we could base our relationship on. So we just decided to be good parents to Haejun. But then just a few weeks before his birth, he was deployed to Italy or something."

"Deployed? He's in the army?"

"Nope. He works in construction and stuff." Nayeon rocks Haejun gently. "Haejun wanted to be a builder for a bit because of his dad."

Mina feels like she knows what's clicking. "Did he happen to have another name that he used, sometimes?"

Nayeon thinks about it for a little bit, and then realises that he did. "Once I accidentally overheard a conversation between him and someone on the phone, and the other person called him Baekho. I guess it's like a stage name or alter alias?"

Mina's brain has finally put the puzzle pieces together.

Kang Dongho and Im Nayeon. I'm guessing Jeongyeon already knows. So that's why the guy left in the first place, Mina laughs, but it's loud enough for the other woman to hear.

"What's so funny?" Nayeon looks at her strangely.

Mina shrugs. "Nothing. Nothing at all." She takes a quick glance at Haejun's shoes and sighs.

She stands up and looks around for something, but Nayeon doesn't know what is it yet.

"I'll be back, unnie. I'm just gonna look for something."

Nayeon allows her to go, and Mina makes her way.

When she comes back, however, Nayeon is surprised to find three large shopping bags in her hand, and she raises her eyebrow.

"What's...what's all that?"

"For Haejun." Mina grins, leaning on her left leg for balance. "I'll bring you home, so that you don't have to piggyback him again."

Nayeon wants to cry of happiness, but now isn't exactly the right time as Haejun is drooling on her favourite shirt. "That'd be great, Mina. Thank you, really."

"No worries." Mina waits for Nayeon to stand up as they walk to the car for the ride home. As they step into the car, a thought pops into Nayeon's head.

"Say, Minari," Mina freezes. She hasn't heard that nickname in such a long time. "Would you like to stay for dinner? It would be a great time to catch up."

The black haired girl thinks about it for a moment and then nods. "I'd love to."

*****

Sana hears the door open behind her and laughs at Momo's state.

"You look like you just came from the Train to Busan." She jokes, and Momo just replies back with an annoyed frown. "Where'd you even go?"

Momo places some plastic bags on the table. "I went to find a job."

"But you get a lot of money from Youtube, Momoring. Plus you get ads and stuff."

"Yeah, but I want to see if there's anything else that would help me develop myself and my skills. I can't always be filming, you know?" Momo sighs. "Also, Nayeon called. Said she's bringing a friend home."

"Isn't she meant to be on a date with Jeongyeon?"

"That's what I thought too." Momo shrugs, and flops onto the sofa, lying next to Sana. "But then I saw Jeongyeon talking with some other woman. Had black hair, brown eyes, that sort."

"That's literally what you look like. And it's probably just her manager." Sana turns back to the TV. "I've seen her manager in a few articles, she's really pretty too."

"Dahyun would kill you if she heard you." Momo looks up.

"Dahyun would agree with me too."

Momo knows she's right, as all the two do whenever they're together are cuddle and then talk about different pretty women they've seen. It's a healthy relationship, one might say.

Sana then hears the fumbling of keys at the door, and rushes over to help the girl who is ever so clumsy. "Unnie, let me help you," She says as she opens the door, looking at the sleeping boy in her arms. "Do you want me to get your shopping?"

Nayeon shakes her head and takes off her shoes as she heads inside.

"It's alright, Mina's offered to help me."

Sana nods. "That's good—wait—" She freezes and turns to Momo who is engrossed with the movie playing. "Did you just say Mina?" She whispers in a hushed tone so that the black haired girl relaxing doesn't hear her.

"Yeah. I met her at the shopping mall. And at the hospital. Wow, what coincidences." Nayeon chuckles and walks over to the sofa, placing the sleeping Haejun in Momo's arms. "Hey, Mo. I brought my friend home."

"Oh really?" Momo pulls Haejun to her shoulder so he can lean on her. She twists her head to see where this friend is. "Where are they?"

A ruffle of plastic and paper bags can be heard nearing the door, and a grunt from a familiar voice sends Momo into shock.

"Nayeon unnie, where do I—" Mina begins as she finds the doorway. "Momo?"

"Mina?"