Lingering on Tables

Scrolling through the pages of a book that I'd been reading on Wattpad as it had been a slow day out at work today. I put down my phone below the counter and stretched my arms out as I was getting so tired because I had a late night shift as well last night. My coworker, with his curly hair that was covered by a hat, walked by me as he was just done coming down from the bathroom. Or so he said. 

A familiar scent filled my nostrils as he walked by. But I couldn't pinpoint what it was because I wasn't expecting a guy like him would use the same perfume as I did, not to be that girl but sometimes guys would prefer something stronger. I walked away to pretend to refill one of the coffee syrups, while debating whether to talk to him about my latest discovery. 

Talking to people had never been my greatest asset that if I lied about it in my resume, I'd probably be dead during the interview.  As I was done rinsing the bottle, I put it over on the rack above the sink to let it be dried of water before filling it up with another syrup. An old song from an ex Disney star was playing in the cafe, just in time as I got back to my seat behind the counter. 

"Wait, you know this song?" I asked. 

The guy glanced up. "Of course, who doesn't?" He chipped in. 

"Wow I've gone to  college in this town for almost three years and only now did I know someone who was a big fan," I replied. He only shrugged and kept scrolling down on his phone, I watched him intently and thought that this would've been a perfect time to ask further about the newfound information. "so am I losing it or are you wearing one of her perfumes right now?" 

"Huh?" 

I chuckled, leaning my elbow on the counter towering over. "You know, the perfume you're wearing right now, I recognized it. Is it Taylor Swift?" 

"Oh yeah yeah, it is," He replied, looking up from his phone and shoved it in his pocket as he rose from the seat and scrolled through the tab. 

"It's so good, right? Too bad mine was completely ran out, well, almost ran out." I revealed, stomping the tampers back and forth on the counter. 

"Mine did too, but you know you can get it for cheap, right?" 

"Shut up, where?" I asked, widening my eyes. For so long I'd tried to find a knockoff version of the perfume that smelled just as good, but failed every time. 

"It's-" He was cut in  as I turned my head to see that a customer appeared in my vision, I shoved him to the back as he was kind of still in training and couldn't operate a cashier yet. 

"Hi, what can I get you?" I said in a rather chippery tone, one that I'd only used while at work, but you probably wouldn't even see me doing the same outside. 

"One iced vanilla coffee and what do you want?" The girl glanced at the guy next to her, which I assumed must have been her boyfriend considering they were clinging onto each other when they appeared first. 

"Black iced coffee." 

"Alright, coming right up." I said, taking the money and went in the back to tell my coworker about the order as I made the other one. He did as instructed and I poured coffee onto the cup then proceeded to add the ice. When done, I pressed the bell and called for their name as I uttered grattitude as they walked away. 

"So, about that cheap perfume shop," I began, leaning my back against the other side of the  counter, glancing over. 

He leaned his hands on the table where all the coffee syrups were placed on. "Yeah, I can show you the directions, oh wait I think they have Instagram," He pulled his phone out of his pocket and showed his screen over to me. 

I took his phone out of his grasp, scrolling through a business profile that had so many pictures of branded perfumes. All of which was under reasonable price as well, perfect for my income at the moment. "Wow this is a bit far from here," I commented as I skimmed over the location of the place. 

"Yeah, it kind of is," He shrugged. "we can go over there sometime or after our shift today?" He offered. 

A grin tugged at my lips, walking closer to rest my hand on his shoulder. "You know, this could be the start of a very beautiful friendship."