“Nothing,” Jessie muttered. 

The demon glared at Jessie without saying anything. Jessie refused to be intimidated by the demon. She glared back at him.

“Where is my sister? Jessie demanded. 

“Bossy,” the demon muttered. “You have no right to ask any question. You are a prisoner here, and you will soon be handled as such,” the demon snarled. “I'm certain you can hear the screams of those pathetic humans over there,” the demon stated, motioning in the direction.  “Soon, it will be you screaming your lungs out,” he said, giving Jessie a smug face.

The words the demon said got her scared, but she masked her expressions. She refused to let the demon see how frightened she was.  

“My master will be with you shortly,” the demon, in the end, stated before he left the room, leaving Jessie in her thoughts. 

“Who is this Master?”  

                        *****

Michael and the rest of the family were seated in the living room, discussing how to rescue Jessie and her sister, but Michael's mind kept zoning out. His thoughts were continuously about Jessie. 

“Michael, are you listening?” Raguel's voice pulled him out of his thoughts. “This is the third time you are zoning off.”

“Sorry, I will pay attention now,” Michael said as he sat up straight. 

Raguel shook his head before he spoke up, “Why don't you go upstairs and lie down for a while?” he suggested.

Michael was a little reluctant about leaving. He wanted to say no to Raguel's suggestion. He wanted to be seated with the rest of his family to know the possible ways to rescue Jessie and her sister, but he knew he couldn't, not when his mind was constantly on Jessie. “Okay,” he agreed to Raguel's suggestion. He stood up and headed upstairs.  

When he got upstairs, he stared at the guest room, which was next to Jessie's. However, as a substitute for going to that particular room, he bypassed it and went straight to Jessie's room. He shut the door behind him and made his way to Jessie's bed.  

Michael picked up her pillow and sniffed whilst having a death grip on it. He felt tears threaten to spill from his eyes, but he held them back. “I can't lose her too,” an uncontrollable sob escaped from his lips as he buried his face in the pillow. 

A few minutes later, he heard a knock on the door. He quickly wiped the tears from his face. He anticipated Raguel to enter the room, but Elena showed up instead. 

“Hey,” Elena stated as she moved closer to Michael.

Michael gave her a tiny smile. “I checked the other visitor's room, but I didn't see you there, so I figured you would be here,” Elena concluded as she sat next to Michael.

“Are you guys done discussing? Do they want me downstairs?” Michael asked.

“How are you, Michael?” Elena asked instead of answering Michael's question. 

Michael looked at her for a few seconds before he said, “I'm fine.”

“No, you are not. I can tell you were crying,” Elena pointed out as she brought her hand to his face and wiped a tear from it. “What is going on, Michael? I have never seen you this wounded before.”  

Michael kept quiet. He didn't know what to say to Elena.  He didn't know how to explain what was going on.

Elena softly sighed when Michael didn't say anything. “What is going on between you and Jessie, and you better not say nothing because I won't take that from you!”