welcome back, alicia

Like my parents, grandma lives on the Upper East Side. Manhattan to be precise. Since grandpa died, she lives in one of the penthouse with Sienna, her caretaker since 10 years ago.

When I arrive, I knock on her door immediately. Sienna opens the door with her eyes almost popping out of the sockets. She attacks me with hugs and calls out for grandma, "Jeanette! You grandchild is here!" Sienna looks exactly the same as when she first worked here. She must be in her late 30s now, but with her big pair of green eyes she still radiates that undeniable glow. I always wonder why she hasn't settled in with a man and raise a family, but then again it's not my place to judge.

"Which?"

"Its me, granny"

She looks fashionable as ever, with her bun secured tightly with hundreds of bobby pins. She looks fragile, but the Hynes high cheekbones and strong eyes are still showing off nicely on her face. "Oh, my favorite grandchild!" She swoons. I wonder what Brett would think if he heard granny said that.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming back?" I shrug shamelessly. Alicia makes the both of us two cups of tea. I drown the liquid like a crazy shrimp on dehydration. They eye me suspiciously, what? I mouthed.

We catch up. Three hours feels like a minute, and time went unnoticed until the dreaded question is brought upon us. "Have you visited your dad? Or Trevor, perhaps?"

"Why are you asking me these depressing questions, gran?" I try to level my voice and keep the tone in which I speak just as cool. Even though as of right now, my throat feels like it's been stabbed a hundred times already. "Well, not really" I lie. Well, partly lie. I didn't mean to bump into Trevor now do I?

I had dinner at her place. Thankfully, we skip the whole dad and Trevor subject altogether. Surprisingly, the rest of the evening was spent talking about Sienna and her family drama. I think this is her taking one for the team, although we have yet to establish that. 

***

Not having anywhere to go, I go to McLaren's the next day. I might as well have lunch here, I kind of miss their hot wings. Upon my arrival, a certain blonde that I hope to see is still standing behind the stool serving the gentlemen surrounding the table. 

"Wait, what the hell!" He's wearing his white tank top, proudly showing his tattooed arm. Instead of a black bandanna, a red one is tied loosely on his head. "Swan!" He calls me by my nickname around here. Yes, the swan. Best believe that I try my best to not cringe at the nickname. 

The pub is emptying out when the clock strikes 3 pm, leaving me with Kedd and the other two guys with their big glass of beers. Why aren't they at work, I wonder. Then again, I'm also not at work where I'm supposed to be. Instead I'm halfway across the country chugging alcohol like it's milkshake. My hot wings are long gone. I am now accompanied with red bull chaser and vodka shots.

"I am so going to regret this red bull." I know that my combination of red bull and vodka will create one hell of a hangover. But I drink it nonetheless because it's the only chaser that doesn't make me sick. 

Since I've been here, he's been busy shuffling around his feet and cleaning. It's still very early in the day, and he's the only one present. Thus why he has yet to start a decent conversation since I've been here. "So, why are you here, and is looking forward to getting drunk so early?" He says finally, all his focus directed towards me.

We catch up. He tells me a crap load of stories, mostly about his customers. The half deaf banker who is now his regular, a mother of six kids that brings her kids to this place, a girl named Britainna, and finally Trevor. I am only half listening to him since the alcohol has finally taken over, but the mention of his name snaps me back into reality. "He brings over this crazy blonde so much," He shudders as he serves me my third drink of the day.