Chapter 39

#NewClassicRTMC

Chapter 39
Mrs. Aleena Iris Rolloque

Standing in front of my father's grave, I carefully placed the bouquet of flowers on top of the marbled stone which housed his remains.

"Daddy, I'm going back to Palawan," I bid my farewell. "Masaya po akong nakilala ko pa rin kayo kahit na wala kayo sa tabi ko."

I spent our remaining days in Cebu learning things about my father since he was child, while hanging out and building a strong bond with Auntie Amanda. She showed me how he used to live. She took me to his favorite places. She gave me a lot of memories to remember about him. Even when I didn't get a chance to be with him, it felt like I have known him all my life.

My family also got bigger. Auntie Amanda introduced me to my cousins—her daughters—through a video call. They were both glad to know me. Nag-aaral sila sa ibang bansa kasama ng kanilang ama. They told me they would come home during their vacation to hang out with me. Kaya naman nangako akong babalik ako sa Cebu.

I'm so thankful to meet Auntie Amanda just how grateful I am to have Auntie Divina. I'm blessed to have those two amazing women in my life as my family. Somehow, I feel complete that I have ties in both sides. I have Auntie Divina from the Trinidads, while Auntie Amanda from the Caringals.

Nilingon ko si Auntie Amanda pagkatapos ibigay kay daddy ang mga bulaklak. "Auntie, puwede ko po ba siyang ilipat sa Palawan kasama ni mommy?" nag-aalangan kong tanong na bumabagabag sa aking isipan.

I wanted them to stay together on the place where they met each other. Alam kong gusto rin nilang magkasama silang dalawa. It would also be convenient for me to visit the two of them.

Auntie Amanda was a bit taken aback because of my request. She looked slightly conflicted, but her features softened after a while as she smiled. "Although, I'm not really in favor of that, I know Maynard would also want that," sabi niya at mukhang parehas kami nang naiisip. "Sigurado akong gusto niyang maging malapit sa 'yo at makasama ang mommy mo. I won't deny him that. I'll work on the papers needed and coordinate with both cemeteries. I will also need your help. Would that be alright?"

Walang pag-aalinlangan akong tumanga. "Wala pong problema, auntie. Tutulong po ako."

"Also, I might also visit you there in Roxas to discuss some legal matters about your inheritance. May mga kailangan akong ilipat sa pangalan mo, lalo na ang shares mo sa negosyo ng pamilya," kaswal niyang sabi na para bang maliit na bagay lamang ang aming pinag-uusapan. "Pag-usapan na lang natin nang maayos kapag naasikaso ko na ang mga papeles."

Although we only knew each other for a short period of time, I knew she was determined to act on her plans. I don't need the inheritance and I'm contented with what I currently have. Pero sigurado akong wala nang makapagpapabago ng kanyang isipan.

Pagkagaling sa sementeryo ay dumiretso na kami sa paliparan. Auntie Amanda drove us there herself. She wanted to make sure that we'd be safe on the road. Kulang na nga lang ay sumama siya pabalik sa Palawan.

"Mag-iingat ka roon, ah?" paalala niya sa akin. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to give me a call. I'll visit you very soon."

Nakangiti akong tumango. Nilingon niya naman agad ang katabi kong si Ike.

"Ike, please take care of my niece," pakiusap ni Auntie Amanda kay Ike. "I'll entrust her to you. Make sure she gets to take her medications, okay?"

"Wala pong problema, auntie," maagap at magalang na sabi ni Ike.

Biting my lower lip, I tried hard not to turn my head to his side. Ever since that day, I couldn't look at him straight in the eyes. I was still feeling guilty and regretful for leading him on about my false pregnancy. Every time I would see him trying his best to act like he was fine, it only made me feel worse.