Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

Glinda decided not to pursue the matter any further and changed the topic somewhat instead.

"But since we aren't late... isn't it possibly even better to speak earlier rather than later? The audience might be less tired."

"Not as tired," agreed Elphaba, "but hungrier." She pointed out the highlighted slot on the timetable. "This is prime lunchtime."

Glinda blinked.

"There is no actual lunch break?"

"Nope. No time for that, of course. Instead, they just lump all the less desirable speakers together around noon."

"Well, that sucks, but we have to make the most out of it. We still got over an hour, so let's have a look around."

She lightly bumped her shoulder into Elphaba's arm and motioned for her to follow her to the lifts. The second floor was full of people, despite the presentation that was ongoing in the congress hall. Some were having drinks at the bar, others were sitting in small groups, absorbed in lively conversation.

Glinda stretched her neck to get as close to Elphaba's head as possible. She was already wearing the highest pumps she could get away with at an event such as this, but since Elphaba's shoes also sported moderate heels, the advantage was minimal.

"Normally, I'd ask you to introduce me to literally anyone here you have ever spoken to. Yet, in this particular case, I don't want to ruin our element of surprise. That being said, if there's anything at all that might be useful for me to know about any of these ladies and gentlemen, now is the time."

The taller woman looked about thoughtfully. She knew a fair number of them by name, but hadn't actually properly met them before. In her pretty, styled head, Glinda's mind was working overtime as she tried her best to retain as much of the information as possible.

From the hall, the muffled sound of applause filtered into the foyer and got louder when someone pushed open the door. A number of people exited and were replaced by some of those who'd been lingering at the bar. Noticing the now empty stools, Glinda considered having a drink herself. Something for the nerves and a good tactic to blend in.

When she turned to Elphaba to make her suggestion, she was startled by the hard look on her face. She followed her gaze to the entrance of the conference hall.

"That's Morrible," Elphaba told her in a hushed voice, with a hostile undertone. "The Wizard's press secretary."

She was referring to a fish-faced upper-class Gillikinese woman. Even Glinda recognised her pudgy, excessively painted face from the news. Her outfit stood out as decidedly less drab than any of her associates'. The mostly currant coloured number abounded in frills and laces, in pearls and sequins. Her neck and arms were decorated with more ornaments than a Lurlinemas tree. All in all, she reminded Glinda more of a drag queen than a professional spokesperson. How a woman of her position was able to get away with such a getup was beyond her.

Stunned by the sight, Glinda only belatedly realised that Elphaba had been talking to her the entire time.

"... also in charge of the female campus of Shiz University," was the first phrase she could properly make out.

"Female campus?" she asked, still somewhat distracted. "As in segregated campuses for boys and girls? That sounds rather... backwards?"

"Proud tradition or something like that, I'm sure," shrugged Elphaba.

"I'm surprised she'd even have the time to fill two such demanding roles at the same time."

"They say one serves the other," was Elphaba's reply. Glinda finally tore her eyes away from the imposing woman to glance up at her friend. Her eyes were narrowed, her jaw muscles flexed. She almost looked like she was staring down the Wizard himself. "As it happens, many alumni of Shiz have found themselves in the service of His Wizardness, one way or another. This supposed school is prime breeding ground for mindless political servants, ready to pander to his every whim. As long as she keeps up with suppling fresh recruits, her position is secure."