First Child

Nightmare was peacefully talking with his husband Passive. They had been together for longer than either of them could remember. After Nightmare destroyed dream tale he separated from his host.
Ever since then they have learned to understand each other and new each other like second nature. (Pun intended).
Nightmares POV
I walked downstairs to Host making breakfast. I rubbed my good eye and stretched my tentacles before flowing over toward him. Host knew it was me as soon as he heard liquid splashing on the floor.
"Good Morning Night"  he said calmly and smiled down at me while I was still a puddle. I tried (best I could) to turn as solid as I could before giving him a hug from behind.
"Morning Host."
"For the hundredth and twelfth time I told you I'm not Host! And it isn't even morning moron"
"You know what I meant"
I stick out my tongue and jump onto the counter next to him crossing my arms. Host looked at me and glared but I could see him smile when he looked back down at breakfast.
I swung my legs impatiently until they were done and handed to me.
"Shouldn't I be the one treated as a Prince" Host laughed
"Yes a royal prick"
Host faked a offended gasp. I smirked and shook my head. I hopped down and grabbed the freshly brewed coffee (and by fresh I mean from last night). Neither of us can sleep that well you see, and neither of us are morning people. Preferring to wake up late in the afternoon. So don't be fooled, I may be saying breakfast but it is a quarter to three (which is still early for us.)
Just as we sat down both me and Host felt strong negative energy coming from the forest outside our home.
"You feel that too right"
"Of course"
Host focused for a few minutes before honing in on where it came from. He grabbed his dark purple and black jacket and bolted for the door. I jumped up and ran after him in worry. He never gets this riled up. He must've felt something important. You see I am made of negativity so I can feel where it comes from. However he is Nightmare, he can literally feel and taste where it is. Sometimes even envision it like his name sake implies. I was able to keep up until he stopped suddenly. I almost ran into him in the process.
Then I saw why he stopped. He was crying and kneeling next to a small young...Skeleton?!
I thought we were the only two here.  The boy was small with a ragged coat and torn up shorts and tank top to match. But that wasn't why my host was crying. He was crying because the boy had a massive hole in his head. Like some sadistic bastard smashed it open. Blood covered his face. He also looked starved. His cheekbones were practically pointy and his bones were far to fragile for a healthy skeleton.

My host carefully picked the small kid up and put his hood over the kids head. His left tibia was shattered beyond recognition. This whole thing reminded me far to much of the abuse my host was given before I saved him.
It began to snow and I put my tentacle over the two for shelter.
"Cmon, we need to head back before this turns into a blizzard"
Host sniffled and held the child closer.
"Neg he's like-like-
"Shhh, I know Host, I know"
I led him to the castle which luckily wasn't too far away. I walked inside and instantly went goopy because of the cold. I was so happy to be in the castle again. Host seemed to cheer up a little more at the prospect of my form and from being out of the cold. He was always a very positive person ironically. It broke my heart seeing him hurt so much back when Dreamtale still was a place. I shook those thoughts away and formed back into a goopy skeleton form. (Even though I didn't really have one.)
"Neg hold the kid I'm going to go get medical supplies, he took off up the twisting bannister before I could reply. I was never good with kids...
I looked down and for some reason I actually found myself smiling. He melted my heart which was a rare feat (ask Host). I began healing him best I could. To at least stop the pain. I also tried to help heal him mentally by taking away some of his negativity.
I sat down in our lounge and held him close to my chest protectively.
"Don't worry, your safe now."