"And if he doesn't believe us?"

"Wait a minute," Natasja cut in. "If you're ex-marines, why are you working for the bad guys?"

"Money doesn't choose good or evil." The man replied. What she said seemed to have struck a cord in him. "We need to survive."

Natasja fell silent. She sometimes forgot how privileged she was to be born into money. She forgot that there were people who actually had to do whatever it took to survive so they could provide for their families. It made her think of her own. Made her think of that night.

"What did he ask for as proof?" Kael asked.

"A picture of your dead body."

"That's it?"

"Mutilated."

"Then he shall receive."

Natasja grabbed Kael's arm. "What the fuck do you mean by that? What are you going to do?"

"This is nothing to me," Kael shrugged. "It will heal."

"You're an idiot," Natasja muttered, walking to her bathroom. "Wait there."

"Where are you going?"

"Doing something smarter."

Natasja had spent enough time with makeup artists to know anything could be done with makeup. When she was younger, her mother took her to watch a movie being produced in Hollywood. There, she watched effects being brought to life by talented makeup artists. She couldn't believe her ears when Kael had actually suggested to physically harm her own body like that. For someone so amazing, she wasn't very smart, Natasja concluded.

In a few hours, the men that were shot were bandaged and medicated. Tissue and fake blood were used with a little bit of makeup to make Kael's body look as dead as a roadkill. They had taken a picture, then all three men being promised that their families would be safe as long as they sided with the Academy. Then they left with a fake picture of Kael's dead body and without another word.

When the door closed behind them, Natasja slumped on the sofa.

"What on earth was that?" She was shocked by the bizarre happenings of that day. "You have some explaining to do, Maddox."

"I always do, with you." Kael rolled her eyes.

"Well excuse me for not knowing everything." Natasja's voice was rising. "For someone who has so many combat skills you barely have any verbal ones huh?"

Kael was confused. How the hell did she get annoyed this quickly?

"God, you are so hot-headed I could practically boil an egg on your head."

"OOH I wanna slap your face so bad right now."

Despite the redhead getting annoyed and worked up, Kael couldn't help but think she looked adorable.

She watched the billionaire heir. She watched the fire in her eyes and the fists at her sides.

A smile tugged the corner of Kael's lips. She loved her sight. She couldn't imagine being blind and missing out on this red hot pepper go off.

"The man they work for is after me," Kael started, wiping off the excess fake blood on her cheek. She needed a shower. "They've been after me for years, but haven't been able to touch me because I'm protected by the Academy."

"What do they want with you?" Natasja seemed calmer since Kael answered her question.

Kael fell silent for a moment, a faraway look on her face. "I guess they think I owe them something."