Chapter 2

Mario’s POV

I slowly opened my eyes seeing that I was in a strange room. I heard muffled voices so I turned my head slightly, seeing three blurry figures standing away from me talking amongst themselves. ‘Where. . . am I. . .? What happened. . .?’ I tried to remember how I got here but the last thing I remembered was. . . ‘KIT!!!’ I jolted up and tried to get off, only to have a sharp pain shoot through my side and fell to the ground, yelping. ‘Wh-What happened?!’  I looked down at my tail except. . . it was gone! It was replaced with legs! ‘What’s happening?!’ I heard something heading towards me and felt someone helping me sit up.

“Hey, take it easy.” I looked up, and squinted a bit as my vision was still blurry, and saw a man with pale skin, black hair, and blue eyes looking at me. Wait. . . he was human! I immediately tackled him and screamed, “WHERE IS SHE?!”

David’s POV

This guy freakin tackled me and started screaming, “WHERE IS SHE?!”

“HEY!” I pushed him off and pinned him against the floor.

“LET GO OF ME!!!” He screamed, struggling against my grip.

“Not until you calm down!” I yelled glaring at him. He instantly stopped and shrunk back a bit, looking. . . scared. Guess he's the submissive type. "Are you calm now?" He slowly nodded a bit. "Okay then. I'm going to let you go. Don't attack, got it?" He nodded once more. I carefully let him go and got up. He say up, holding his wounded side backing away from me a bit. "Okay, now that you're calm, let's try this again. My name is David, captain of the Fairlight. What's your name?"

"M-Mario. . .," he answered, quietly, him obviously trying to hide the fear in his voice.

"It's nice to meet you Mario. Can you tell me what happened to you?" He looks away staying quiet. "Look, I want to help you but I can't if you don't tell me what happened."

"A-And why should I trust you?"

"That's up to you whether you trust me or not. I just want to help."

He looked me in the eye, like he was looking for some kind of truth, and asked, "H-How did you find me?"

"We found you floating in the water, bleeding out so we brought you aboard and tended to your wounds, though two of my crewmates seem to know you. One said they were a friend while the other said that you were his brother."

He looked at me with wide eyes and asked, "What're their names?"

"Lucas and Micheal. They're merfolk just like you which I guess makes sense on how they know you."

"Y-You know I'm a merfolk?" I nodded.

"Your tail and fins kinda give it away."

He looked at his legs and mumbled, "So my tail turns into legs when I'm out of water. Guess that part of history was true."

"You're taking this much better than I thought," I said, smiling. I remembered how freaked out Lucas and Micheal were when they saw their tails gone. He doesn't even seem bothered by it. "Can you tell me what happened? What caused your injuries?"

"A-An anchor."

"What?!" I saw him flinch a bit so I quickly said, "Sorry. Can you repeat that?"

"A-An anchor fell and landed on top of me."

"Can you tell me more?"

"L-Like?"

"What were you doing?" God, is he dense or something?