oOo

During the next few hours, transitioning between classes and remaining in boredom, the rumors had gotten much more vocal. In a class the trio shared together in their third period, someone new had entered, silencing the whole class and Michelle's thought process. Through the door entered a much older looking Liz Allan, almost dressed like a teacher.

The actual instructor greeted the young woman then regained the attention of his students. "Class, may I introduce to you all your old peer and the new TA, Liz Allan. She'll be with us for the rest of the semester." Liz greeted her old school mates and some new faces with a bright smile. More chatter had erupted, but the teacher silenced them once again to continue his lesson.

Michelle, who was still shocked at the news, turned to Peter who also held the same stunted expression. She could practically see the gears in his head twisting and turning at the sight of his former crush, but the sparkle in his mesmerizing eyes told her it wasn't as former as she'd thought. She let out an inaudible sigh and peeled her attention to focus on the lesson.

oOo

When lunch approached that day, the three were sat at their usual table but Peter's mind was elsewhere. Michelle nudged Ned, who'd quieten down from his typical rant to look at the unusually lethargic boy. "Hey, you okay?" Ned had disrupted him from his train of thoughts causing him to turn to two expectant looks. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine," he dismissed, "Just have a lot on my mind."

He could see that neither had accepted that reply. Then Michelle, much to her dismay, encouraged him, "If you want to go over and talk to her, you should." Her head pointed to a spot in the lunchroom where Liz had gathered around her old friends. Including Betty Brant, Sasha—previously Seymour, and Jason Ionello.

Liz was much too young to hang around with the rest of the faculty so she figured she'd catch up with some old friends. See how their lives have been since the five years that put a pause in them. Soon, her eyes caught Peter's and met in a gaze that held on for so long. Unraveling so many emotions. At least that's what MJ figured as she watched them carefully.

Again, she wasn't obsessed. Just very observant. She'd observed as Peter fought a fearsome battle in his mind to make his decision. She'd observed as he finally took Michelle's advice and pried himself from the table to stalk over to the other female. She'd observed as the group around Liz scattered, leaving a nervous Peter alone with her. She'd observed as they'd exchange a few greetings and other pleasantries before laying out a full confrontation. And she'd observed as Peter's gloom turned into a bright smile she had never witnessed before.

It times like these when she'd abhor her observant nature, because then she'll be forced to witness something she didn't want to know. Like Peter's non existent feelings for her. Actually she'd known a while ago that she'd never stand a chance with him. But the interaction that played out in front of her cemented the thought into her mind. She wasn't good enough for Peter and she'd finally accepted that.

oOo

After a few weeks had gone by and Liz's return was no longer the topic of conversation, Michelle had noticed yet another shift in their dynamic. Peter was a lot more enthusiastic since Liz came back, but that also meant Michelle had got to see less of him during school as he'd always leave halfway into lunch to chat with the now young adult. Michelle figured it was just him trying to help Liz situate herself in her new position and let her become more comfortable in the refurbished school she hadn't seen for over six-ish years.