Chapter 16: The County Fair

Start from the beginning

We both turned back to see Billy groan and call the game rigged. I smiled.

"Can I try?" Jerry asked.

He stepped up, swinging the club and making the bell ding first try. He smiled, and I giggled as he handed me a small toy dog.

"For you," he said, kissing my hand.

"Merci, it's beautiful," I said with a smile.

"(Y/N), I know I can't offer you much, and I know you don't love me, but you are such an amazing girl," he said.

I looked at him with sympathy.

"It's not your fault, Jerry. There's no other boys. I'm just- not ready for that yet," I said, wishing I didn't have to lie that way. He nodded.

"Whenever you are ready to court and marry, (Y/N), I hope you'll find me. I promise to love you and care for you, forever, mon chérie."

I took my hands in his. I cared for him, but I wish I could've explained that it wasn't him, it was that I didn't feel that way about men at all.

I hugged him, and he smiled, holding me.

"I'm so sorry, Jerry," I said.

"No no, don't be. I'm perfectly happy as your friend," he said, and I smiled, kissing his cheek.

"I'm going to go try some of the games. I will see you around, oui?" I asked. He nodded, and we saw each other off.

I felt bad.

Perhaps in another life, my sweet Jerry.

—————

I wandered through everything, smiling as I watched Thomas Lynde fail at ring toss.

I was scared by the sound of a gun.

I smiled to myself. There she was.

I moved past Rachel Lynde, who was currently talking to some other old women about Miss Stacy. Rachel Lynde seemed to enjoy talking about her almost as much as I did.

I watched Miss Stacy's figure, her arms and her hands as she fired the gun, hitting every single glass bottle. I felt my heart skip beats. There was something so insanely attractive about it. I smiled at the upset look on every mans face who'd seen this occurrence. They'd all been shown up by a woman.

She smiled, handing the gun to the man who ran the booth and turning.

She smiled at me.

"Where'd you learn how to do that?" I asked, and she giggled, motioning for me to follow so we could go somewhere less crowded and sit down.

We eventually found a bench in a less busy spot.

"I was taught by my father, but Jonah and I used to practice a lot together. Though, if I have my pick of hunting I prefer fishing," she said, and I grinned.

"You look nice," I said, observing the vest she'd put on.

"Thank you. You look lovely, though part of me had hoped you might wear the pants," she said.

"And give Rachel Lynde something else to talk about? Certainly not. I can hear it already 'Miss Stacy is even influencing her own girls to wear pants! Soon there won't be a woman left in this town!" I mocked, and she giggled, snorting slightly. I looked over, raising an eyebrow as I grinned.

"Oh I'm sorry but you're absolutely right, you just do a good impression," she said, laughing again.

"I haven't heard you laugh like this since the day that Rachel Lynde made those awkward comparisons in the barn," I said, and she laughed even more.

I felt my heart flutter. Her laugh brought me so much joy, and I cherished every moment of it.

"Rachel Lynde is certainly a character," she said.

We both went quiet for a moment, looking at each other. Should I kiss her? My heart was going so fast I thought it might explode.

She looked away, and I nearly sighed out in relief. If she actually had kissed me, I don't think I could've handled it.

"It's a beautiful day," she said, smiling.

"It is. The county fair is always lovely, though personally I'm a bit more excited for the barn dance," I said, and she looked over.

"Well, you're certainly a good partner for dancing," she said.

"Muriel-" I paused, gasping and looking over, wide eyed.

"I'm so sorry It just slipped and I-"

"No no, it's alright. You'll be graduating and attending college soon, anyways. You may call me Muriel outside of class," she said, taking my hand in hers. I blushed, looking down and nodding.

"Could we- could we dance together tonight? I just think you're also a splendid dancer," I said, stuttering and trying not to make a fool of myself.

"I'd love to. Not that we could do that inside the barn, though. You know how this town is. But I'm sure the music will be loud enough outside, and we can dance in private," she said. I smiled, nodding.

"Look, someone is in the hot air balloon," she said, pointing. I looked up.

"It can fly. How magnificent. Man floats upon a limitless plane of air," I muttered to myself, watching.

"Now, I'm hungry. Ice cream?" She asked, standing and offering her arm.

I nodded, getting up and smiling as I held it. Of course, we detached when people came into sight, but for that small while, it felt like she was my husband, and I was her wife.

—————

"Bash? Gil? Funny running into all of you," I said as we approached the ice cream stand.

"Who's this?" Winifred asked.

"Miss Stacy, the school teacher," she said, reaching out to shake all of their hands.

"Pleasure to see you, Miss Stacy," Bash said, only tipping his hat because he was carrying Delphine. She smiled.

We ate the ice cream, and I smiled at her.

"Did you know, among the recipes Thomas Jefferson brought back from France, ice cream was among them, and he popularized it in North America when he served it at presidential dinners," I said, and she smiled at me.

"It's nice to know all that time you spent off task was actually crediting you," she teased. I laughed, and we continued to eat the cold ball of milk and sugar.

Once we were done, we continued looking for other games to try.

She tried out the one Jerry had played earlier.

I laughed as Billy Andrews walked by, seeing her hit the bell. It was satisfying.

"Are you just inherently good at everything?" I questioned as we walked away. She laughed.

"Everything aside being a proper lady," she joked. We both laughed, and I smiled to myself for a moment.

She was such a perfect, lovely woman. I didn't think I could love her anymore than I

already did.