x - what if the real world is just a dream?

Start from the beginning

            They didn't understand why this was happening, as if she was cursed. As always, Bonnie didn't feel a glimpse of magic inside of her, any hexes. But that burn started to happen gradually, worsening with days. They even made her a daylight ring, but it didn't protect her as if she were a mere human. But she wasn't and something or someone was killing her. And they didn't know why.

            Ophelia didn't want to alert anyone, since she didn't want her month to finish quicker. She was just starting to learn about this new world. She was proudly using the electric kettle on her own, waiting for the water to boil. She finally understood the lights around her, a few gadgets in the kitchen and the running water. She was just getting started.

            Damon was conflicted. It hurt to see his sister in so much pain, slipping away once again. "They don't even know what she is. They can't help us."

            "They know more than we do," Stefan disagreed.

            "They know nothing about her!"

            Ophelia flinched slightly as Damon's voice was rising and the kettle automatically turned off with a loud click. "Please, do not argue... I am well. I can get through this."

            "I'm calling Elijah," Stefan stood up and Damon immediately stood in his way.

            "I'm not losing her," Damon stood to his ground. "He will get here and sniff everything out to Klaus and before we know it – she's gone."

            "I called Elijah," Elena appeared in the doorway of the kitchen, the familiar Original behind her. "While you two are busy arguing, Bonnie agreed that calling for help would be the wisest choice." Elena stepped inside the kitchen, looking at Ophelia apologetically.

            Elijah looked at the Salvatore brothers: "I'm sure you know I wouldn't hurt Ophelia."

            Damon turned around to face him: "I'm sure you know I don't trust you."

            The Original wanted to answer something, but he looked at Ophelia and he suddenly forgot to put the Salvatore brothers in their places. His body froze as he looked at her, as he inspected her and immediately, he walked closer.

            "How long has this been going on?" He asked, his voice not loud, but rushed. His eyes were pointed at the horrible burn on the right side of her face, at the same time noting that she was wearing a daylight ring.

            "Ever since I made the deal with Klaus. After a day, my skin started to itch and on the other, it started to peel as if burnt. Then, it only got worse," Ophelia explained on her own, not feeling threatened by his presence.

            Elijah surprisingly brought a piece of serenity with him. She didn't like to be surrounded by men, she didn't trust them. But his eyes didn't hold anything wicked beneath them – they were caring. They didn't have forbidden intentions, they didn't see her for her body, for the possibilities. No, he looked at her as if she was a human.

            "And the ointments?" Elijah already knew most of it from Elena.

            "They help, for a brief moment. They ease the skin for a few minutes, but then it is all over again," she gently rolled her sleeves back, showing him her skin. There wasn't a bit of skin on her arms they weren't burnt. Her fingers surprisingly were just red and inflamed, but not burnt.

            "Do you know what this might be?" Elena asked Elijah.

            Elijah restrained himself from touching Ophelia's skin even if he wanted to inspect the burns, but she was already in pain. "At first I thought she might be going through the transition, but the daylight ring would've solved this." He turned to the others. "I'm afraid we don't know the extent of the connection between Ophelia and Niklaus. If she possesses the power of creation that my brother does not have, he possesses something as well—healing, for example."