Chapter 2

The first day of training was brief. It was mostly the commander screaming orders, and destroying peoples confidence. He did such a great job, considering that a quarter of the trainees quit immediately after. 

Mikasa stood outside of the girls cabin, watching the wagon bring a group of failures back to the Trost district. The sun was setting on the valley, and she surveyed her surroundings. 

She had never been this far away from her parents before, and she truly missed them. 

They made her promise them that she would frequently send letters, even when she wasn't in the mood. She giggled at their desperate remarks and promised that she would write. 

She softly smiled at the memory, and watched the sun fully set behind a hill. 

"Wow... It's so pretty!" Mikasa heard a girl chirp. She looked over to see a short blonde girl standing next to a taller brunette. The brunette nodded at the blonde's remark, before yawning. "How can you pay attention to the sunset when there's food to be eaten? C'mon Christa." The brunette said, walking away. The blonde girl giggled and chased after her. 

Mikasa realized she didn't know anyone here, not that she expected too. She just thought it might be nice to have small talk with someone during meals and breaks. She shrugged it off and made her way to the cafeteria.

...

She ate her soup quietly at an empty table, it couldn't compare to the delicious soup her mom used to make. 

There was lively chatter echoing throughout the room, and everyone seemed to be familiar with one another. She paid close attention to people's expressions, trying to interpret what their personalities were like. 

The blonde girl from earlier had kind eyes, and gentle movements. Mikasa assumed that she was friendly, but could be easily taken advantage of. Her friend seemed to be the opposite. The brunette had poor posture and table manners, and she had more boyish features. Mikasa assumed that she didnt care what other people thought, and she probably had a sense of humor. 

Mikasa's attention was brought to two boys arguing at the table next to her. 

"What did you say to me!?" a boy with ash brown hair shouted while standing from his seat.

"I said YOU'RE A COWARD!" a boy with coffee brown hair barked back, standing from his seat as well. 

There was a blonde boy sitting at the table with them, and he simply rolled his eyes and stood up. The blonde boy walked away from the fight that was about to erupt, and towards Mikasa's table. 

He stopped in front of Mikasa's table and awkwardly chuckled, "Can I sit here?" 

Mikasa nodded, and scooted over. "Thanks." he beamed, sitting down beside her. 

"I'm Armin by the way." 

 She gave him a soft smile, "Im Mikasa. Nice to meet you." 

"Nice to-" but before he could finish his sentence, a loud bang interrupted him. Armin jerked his head around to see the two boys at each other throats, muttering empty threats. 

Armin let out an exaggerated sigh, and turned his attention back to Mikasa. "Sorry about them..." he muttered, truly embarrassed by his friends' outbursts. 

Mikasa shook her head, "It's not bothering me, are they your friends?" she asked. 

Armin looked back at the fight and shook his head, "The one with darker hair is. Eren." Armin explained, pointing to the boy with the coffee brown hair. Mikasa watched the scene, studying their movements. It was obvious to her that neither of them had any experience in fighting, their form was horrible.