43 - Secret Weapon

After searching our bedroom from top to bottom for any clues to his whereabouts, we eventually discovered a note which must have fluttered underneath the bed.

Gone with Orion to get Mr Dog and to find Aunt Hermy and Uncle Ron so that Mummy won't have to cry anymore.

"Oh god!" I wailed dramatically, as a wave of sickness swooped low in my stomach. "This is all my fault!"

Draco snatched the letter from my shaking hands, sucking in a sharp breath as his eyes scanned over our son's handwriting.

"This must mean he's headed back to Hogwarts," he muttered, panic strangling his voice. "But how does he think he's getting there? It's hundreds of miles away."

"Knight bus?" I suggested, my chest tightening at the thought of him travelling alone.

"Without a wand?" Draco scoffed, raising his eyebrows.

"I don't know... Muggle transport, then?" I reached, forgetting Jack would need Muggle money.

"Muggles had to cease and desist public transport ever since Death Eaters began blowing up trains and buses."

"Oh god, Drac," I breathed as the full horror of what kind of world Jack had walked out into hit me like a tonne of bricks. "What are we going to do?"

"I'm going to go straight to Hogwarts, and start there," Draco said, removing his wand from his pocket. I noticed that despite his calm demeanour, his hand was trembling. "Chances are, he's going to attempt to go back to the last place he saw them."

"I'm coming with you," I said at once, placing my hand over his, clasping it in mine.

Draco's eyes widened, fear flitting across his face. "Are you crazy?" He hissed, snapping his hand away. "You can't do magic."

"I'm not sitting at home twiddling my thumbs when my son is missing!" I implored, my heart racing frantically.

"It's out of the question." Draco shook his head, his mind clearly made up. "Scorp needs you here."

"Jack needs me too!"

"No, Blaire." He spat, his face pinched in anger. "I refuse to take you with me when you have no means of defence."

"Please, Drac," I begged, desperate for him to understand. "I can take another weapon... a kitchen knife. Magic isn't all there is."

"Don't be so stupid!" Draco spluttered, "What good is a steak knife going to be when faced with the Killing Cur-?"

"I've got a gun."

Both Draco and I whirled round. Narcissa hovered in the doorway, holding Scorpius in her arms.

"Mother!" Draco gave a horrified gasp. "What do you mean you've got a- a gun?"

"Well... rather your father has," she corrected herself. "After You Know Who took over, he decided to arm himself with one. Just in case he got his wand confiscated again."

Try as I might, I could not imagine that dude shooting a gun.

I, on the other hand, had played enough Muggle video games with Draco to feel confident enough about using one.

"I don't know," Draco said, lines creasing his brow as he looked from his mother to me, "it's still too dangerous-"

"If it was you missing, I'd want to be out there too." Narcissa demanded fiercely. "Let Blaire go and help find her son. Scorp is fine here with me."

I threw her a small, grateful smile. She understood, and I was glad to have her on my side.

In the end, Draco grudgingly agreed.