"Amma says it's hard to trust people again, Rafa, it's not their fault," Pipo said.

"Well, mite. I think you're right." She patted his head with the clumsy hesitance of someone who's not used to having kids around. Pipo seemed to notice that too, for he chuckled and gently patted her back as if to show her the right way to do it.

"Since your investigation is over," Léon began. He preferred to ignore that weird conversation about trust, forgiveness, and being hurt. "Can't I keep the amethyst? It... it's special."

"That's really not how things work, Léon. Not when you're doing the right thing." Rafa took in a deep breath. She thought for a long moment, then sighed and thrust a hand into her pocket. Her hard eyes—for they set even harder on Léon after what he was asking of her—were dark and serious, hiding any trace of the amusement she had shown for Pipo a moment ago.

Léon gulped. He had only seen one other pair of probing eyes like hers, and they belonged to his former boss and the CEO of Invidia, Iara Iamí-Xarãma. The hairs on his arms stood on end.

"Tell you what," Rafa finally said. "Keep it until we're back in Cidade Santa, but I need you to give it back to me once we're there. Can you do that?"

Léon blinked a few times to dissociate Iara and Rafaela's images in his brain. "Y-yeah. Sure can."

"Good." Rafa reached for the gem in her pocket. "I'll talk to Beto and remind him we have protocols to follow and paperwork to fill... and that he's in for an earful once I tell Marlo what he did."

Léon took in a deep breath and nodded. It would be a relief to feel the cold weight of the amethyst against his palm again. He stretched his hand, palm up to receive it.

The gem was the physical proof that Rob wanted him by his side, after all. This was a reminder of how much love Rob had for him, despite the immense pain he had caused.

Léon couldn't give it up that easily.

The sound of steps coming from the forest caught his attention. Léon looked to the side    in time to see Rob and Anhangá crossing the rim of trees below. Léon smiled when he met Rob's eyes, and warmth swelled his chest. At Rob's side, though, Anhangá's expression caught his attention.

Widened eyes, lips half-opened, shoulders tense, body hunched forward as if he were about to start running.

Why was Anhangá looking so scared?

"Rafa, wait! Don't!" Anhangá shouted.

But it was too late. Léon felt the could touch the amethyst against his palm, and a strong, unknown, terrifying influx of energy that didn't belong to him. Something tugged at his forehead, a hook pulling his conscience out of him. The sky darkened, the forest silenced, and the air around him started to be sucked in his direction.

And then, everything went black.

***

Hey, you! Thank you for reading this chapter 

I hope you enjoyed it. If you did, please don't forget to vote!

Soo, it seems Rob and Anhangá weren't fast enough, eh? :S Whatever happens now, I can guarantee it won't be a walk on the beach... or will it? xD haha

Also, here's a small gift to show you all that I really appreciate your support! It's a cute drawing of Rob, Leo, and Pipo. I intend to color it someday when things are calmer here haha!

 I intend to color it someday when things are calmer here haha!

ALSO, this week I have a long list of people I wanna thank. Thank you all for being amazing readers, for all of your votes and comments!

PrincessAnimeFan , harleeyah24 , itzzzjustmeh , saylor09_008 , ThreeFluffyPuppies , ReaderIsMissing1309 , GabrielGray877 , nine_missing

♥ And even if you're too shy to comment or say hi, thank you too! hehe 

Knowing there are people out there who enjoy my stories is what gives me the strength to write. ;)

Kisses and see you next week!

Ligia