Chapter 1: Disconnected

Shuichi's POV:

"Tsumugi... Shirogane..." my voice shook. I looked upon a slender, and admittedly, busty girl. Her deceitful appearance that makes her look unassuming. Her long blue hair draped down on her back. She was staring at me with a soft innocent expression from her blue eyes that are hiding behind her round glasses. Standing in front of me... was Tsumugi Shirogane...
Standing in front of me... was the mastermind that trapped us in the Killing Game.

"It's okay, Shuichi. Maki Harukawa and Himiko Yumeno are also just waking up!" Tsumugi said that with such... enthusiasm. Confused, I peeked outside of my pod and looked around. There were... 15 other pods, but two of them have their glass cases closed. That must be where Maki and Himiko are occupying! I look back inside my own pod, and noticed a small button that reads out 'EMERGENCY'
I looked back up towards Tsumugi. She has moved over to check on the other pods. I couldn't help but feel a little upset at the pit of my stomach upon seeing her. I took my gaze away from her and looked around for a bit. I noticed that the other pods that have their glass covers open are empty.

"Why are you here?" I grumbled.

Tsumugi looked at me gleefully and responded, "Oh, when I awoke from the virtual world I just hit the EMERGENCY button to get me out! Now, can you help me get Himiko out? I'll check on Maki." She let out an innocent giggle that sent chills down my spine.

"No, Tsumugi..." I got out of my pod, and faced her. I gave her a stern expression. I can feel myself holding back my emotions in order to not lash out at her. "Why are YOU here?" She can clearly hear my frustration, yet there's a look of confusion on her face at the same time.

"I'll..." Tsumugi said quietly, looking down. Then she changed into a more serious expression as she looked back at me. "I'll explain everything I can to the best of my ability... once we get Maki and Himiko out."

As much as I would like to know what is going on, I felt that I had no choice but to comply. I walked along the outskirts of the pods and made my way to Himiko's pod. I peered into the glass cover and saw Himiko resting behind it. She shook her head a little, struggling to open her eyes.
I sighed of relief. She's okay... now I just gotta get her out...
I looked to the lower right side of the pod, and pushed a big round button that reads 'OPEN'

"Himiko..." I called, "Himiko! Wake up! It's me, Shuichi!"

Himiko groaned, "Nyehhh... that felt... like such a stressful sleep... nyeeehhhh..."

I chuckled, smiling a little, "Himiko, get up. You can find a better spot to sleep in later!"

"Nyehh... nyeh?" Himiko peeked out of her pod, before jumping out from it. "We-we're saved?! We're free, Shuichi?!" I can see Himiko's eyes shimmering, as though she's at the brink of letting tears welt up.

"Y-yeah... Yeah!" I shouted. "We can get ou-"

Suddenly Tsumugi let out a scream.
"Ahh-!!"
"GrrraaaAAAHHHHH!!!!"

I looked away from Himiko and discovered the source of the commotion. My eyes widened as they were filled with terror...

"Let her go, Maki!" I yelled.

Maki, focused all of her hatred towards Tsumugi within the palm of her hands. Her fingers wrapped around Tsumugi's small neck, gripping it with such force I thought Tsumugi's neck would break.

"THIS BITCH. NEEDS TO DIE!!! SHE. MUST PAY. FOR MAKING US GO THROUGH THAT HELL HOLE!!!" Maki was seething. I swear that I saw a dark aura being emitted from her, as her hair was gradually jutting up on ends.
I don't want Maki to kill somebody...

I don't...

Time seemed to have slowed down as I rushed over to Tsumugi's aid. The pain Tsumugi's going through is indicated by her attempt to escape. The way she's trying to pry off Maki's fingers from enveloping her neck. How she's taken a few steps back with her shaking legs as though to get away from the demon that has awoken from her assailant. For each step back Tsumugi would take would result in Maki inching forward, in order to position herself better so as to not let go of her prey.
Tsumugi's pitiful expression changed to one facing despair. Her eyes bulging. Her mouth agape, as saliva is running on the side of her opened mouth.
Then, my vision...