CHAPTER 22: Regrets & Promises

Începe de la început

Ella cracked a smile at his confession, "That's too bad..."

"And apparently being a swimmer at a beach party means your drunk friends try to throw you into the ocean." He admitted dismally.

This made Ella laugh and she momentarily forgot about her own problems. "Did they succeed?"

"No, but only because they were trying to throw this one guy dressed as a shark into the water and I ran away." Daniel wasn't done with his self-deprecating saga. "I barely managed to escape. Also, they would have ruined my charming shirt, but then again I suppose there's no point, the scarcity of handsome men in this party is telling."

Her gaze dropped down to his blue shirt and she said, "I don't see it."

"Of course you don't see it, you're not the target audience," He defended.

She nodded, agreeing, "I suppose."

When her eyes momentarily flickered to the partying crowd, she saw a familiar face, he smiled and waved as he approached and Ella waved back, Daniel took notice of the exchange.

"Who's that?" Dan asked, scrambling next to her.

"Just someone I know..." She said vaguely as footsteps approached and Andrew stood next to them.

"Enjoying the party?" He asked, a twinkle in his green eyes spoke of mischief.

Ella laughed, and answered sarcastically "Can't you see? I'm delighted" He chuckled at her bland humour.

She then made introductions when Dan nudged her, "This is Andrew, and Andrew this is my friend Daniel."

They shook hands, "It's nice to meet you, Daniel." Andrew said.

"Likewise." Dan smiled.

"And what about you, I thought this is exactly the scenario you run from." She gestured at the wild party and tilted her head to peer up at him like she was trying to look at the Empire State Building.

"While that is true, I was never a good runner and most of my friends are athletes, they caught me pretty quickly, said: 'There's a thin line between introverted and isolated' and then dragged me here."

"I'm sure you put up quite a fight..." She smiled.

"I was flailing and kicking, I kid you not!" He said to her as he lowered himself to the ground and sat down in the sand next to her, legs stretched forward towards the fire that rose and licked at the moist, saliferous air.

Daniel scoffed and chuckled, "I see why you get along." He said to Ella as he drank from the bottle as an excuse to avoid her glare.

The trio sat there, wordlessly, letting the ambience overwhelm the wordless silence.

"I don't want to be too forward and assume that you're moping, but the signs of distress are all there..." Andrew's familiar voice spoke beside her.

"If you're looking for a riveting conversation, I'm afraid I can't contribute tonight, my mind is not in the right place." She told him straight.

"Why, what is it, bad news? Family problems? Or the age-old college conventional heartbreak? Whatever it is, you can tell me, I'll find it sufficiently gripping."

"I don't think she would indulge in the last one." Dan teased.

"I don't quite feel like talking tonight gentlemen..." She confessed as she sipped from her bottle, ignoring his playful tone. They were away from the bustle of the city and felt at peace, Ella was a solivagant individual who visited nostalgic places and sometimes even new locations to explore, she considered this as another one of her explorations.