50 Valentines

She waited at the corner under the restaurant's awning. Wind blowing away her curled hair and pillowing around her peach summer dress; waiting for him.

~

He was running late. Running after a bus that was getting further and further away, the next one doesn't come for another hour. Dark clouds are starting to rumble overhead

~

She checked her phone for the hundredth time in that half an hour. The wind was getting a little colder now. The footpath was getting blotchy from random droplets falling from the sky

~

He was walking. Only another kilometer to go, his phone forgotten at home, shame covering his face. The rain was pouring now. He was soaked.

~

She was about to give up when she saw him. Three quarters of an hour late; hair dripping, torn denim jeans now almost black, short sleeve shirt sticking to his body.

He looked into her eyes.

"I'm so sorry."

"Well, you're here now."

"Thankyou."

He didn't take her hand. He knew she didn't like the rain or water, he had listened. He was forgiven and that was enough for him.

She walked after him, stepping though the glass door he held open for her, suddenly enveloped by the smell of Italian cooking. She had always loved this place, he had listened.

He pulled out her chair as she sat down. He had ordered ahead when reserving the table in the corner. He knew what she liked and didn't like, he had listened.

She smiled as the breadsticks covered with ricotta cheese and basil next to a dipping of garlic sauce was whisked over to their table. A favourite of her mothers home cooking, he had noted.

He talked about her favourite bands and She talked about his. They had both seen the others CD collections.

They were old school. They fit together like a puzzle, starting slow but always adding a little more here and there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fifty years later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He waits at the door for her to walk down the stairs of the little suburban house they call home. The landline rings and he hears her pick it up.

"Hello?"

"Oh hello dear. How are you both and the kids?"

"Oh that's wonderful."

"Now darling, I wish i could talk but your father and I are just about to go out."

"Okay darling... Of course... I love you too... Goodbye."

Then he finally sees her walk down the small corridor to where he is. He smiles at her. She smiles back.

"Happy Valentines Day my beautiful flower. I love you."

"I love you too my handsome prince."

They're old school, they fit together like pieces of a puzzle; starting off slow and moving faster as the bigger picture appears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know. I was inspired for some reason. Anyway, I hope you liked it. If you did please tell me or show me. I get the biggest smile when i get a view/like/comment on this so yeah. :) Keep smiling my little bubblies.