7. Stepping out

Ringo had passed me a cigarette, chugging away on his own and humming a tune

Ringo had passed me a cigarette, chugging away on his own and humming a tune. He made conversation to ease my nerves, the cool, Liverpool air freshening my intoxicated state slightly. Now I only felt dizzy and disoriented. Great.

"What did yer think of the set? Before all that ruckus anyway," he deflected my eyes away from peering back into the club.

"Very good," I muttered halfheartedly, listening out for what was going on inside. The girls seemed to have calmed down a lot. At last, Paul came staggering out first, pushing his rolled up, white sleeves above his biceps. He panted loudly, covered in a light sheen of sweat. His long hair was damp and stuck to his face attractively.

"Cor, gis me one of them," was the first thing he said, grabbing the fag from Ringo's hand and taking a long drag. On a long exhale, his pretty eyes flicked to study my worried face. "You're trouble, yer know," Paul informed with a grin. "Got half the town fighting over you in there."

"I'm sorry," I chewed my lip, trying to clear my thoughts. "You're not hurt are you?"

"Me? Hurt? Never," he chuckled, standing up straight to prove his bravado. "It'll take more than a sod like him to hurt us. We're council estate roughies."

"God, I'm such an idiot," I backed against the cold brick wall and slid down slowly until my but hit the pavement. Ringo pouted sullenly, coming to join me sweetly.

"Why?" He wondered, those slanted eyes watching me carefully. Paul stayed towering above, though kept a watchful eye over me.

"I don't know. For coming alone. For being a shite friend and leaving Delia at John's. For letting that bloody idiot buy me a drink. He was right, I did lead him on," I stressed, squeezing my blue eyes shut to stop the dizziness.

"Just because you're pretty, doesn't mean you're leading people on," Ringo softly made a valid point, rubbing his arms to warm up. "You said no, any normal guy would've stopped there."

"I don't know," Paul grinned, flicking some ash away from the cigarette. "I wouldn't have been able to control myself," his laugh was meant to wind me up.

"Shut up Paul," I shook my head at his compliment.

"Right," he lifted his hands above his head in fake mercy. I moved an inch, severe dizziness taking over me.

"Woah," Ringo grabbed a tight hold of my shoulders and kept me upright. "You're a lightweight." I was certain my makeup was smudged in more than one place and my hair had fallen from its cute hairstyle. My words became slurred and unfiltered.

"What is it about me that guys don't take seriously?" I stared Ringo's bashful face head on, glaring until he answered.

"Uh oh," Paul interrupted from up high. "This is your territory, Rings." He listened in amusement, a smirk playing on his plump lips.