12. Jealous Girl

I'd been spending more and more time with the guys and we were becoming fast friends

They'd invited me out to another gig they were playing tonight and this time I'd invited Delia along.
She was still in the dark about my feelings for John and our sweet little interactions we'd been having recently. Although we weren't a couple, we enjoyed spending time together and getting a few sweet kisses and touches every now and again.

My parents were often quite strict and wouldn't accept me having a boyfriend just yet, plus John didn't want a label in our friendship. We were young and that was fine by me. We were having fun and that was all that mattered.

"I never see you anymore. You've been busy!" Delia gushed over the boys music, in awe at their stage presence. She sipped on her drink made by the bartender. I had to admit, the guys had plenty of energy left over today and it was nice to watch a full set without a fight erupting halfway through.

"Just, you know. Stuff," I failed to think of an excuse and scrutinised the crowds in the cavern club tonight. I squinted upon seeing a recognisable face at the back of the room. Brian Epstein. He seemed harmless enough, polite and friendly to our faces. In fact, he was nodding along to the music with a beam on his face. He really was eager.

"Faye? You look as though you've seen a ghost," Delia chuckled. "They're amazing," I could see her fawning over John's figure in his new suit that I chose out for them. Through the crowd, George spotted me from the stage and flashed me a quick grin.

"I know," I said simply, wishing I'd told her about my feelings for John before now. I decided tonight would be the night I'd explain how well I'd gotten to know the boys. She was still in the dark about the full extent I'd been hanging out with them.

"I haven't spoken to John since he dropped me home. I'm going to find him afterwards," she decided with a coy pout.

"I thought you dropped flowers off to Mimi?" I remembered John telling me.

"How did you know that?" She wondered quickly.

"You, uh, mentioned it in the car that day," I thought on my feet.

"Oh yeah," she brushed her blonde hair up into a higher beehive. "Well I did, hoping to see John. But he wasn't in. Apparently they were rehearsing." I already knew. I was with them. "Mind you, Paul's a dish too," she eyed him up and I felt slightly protective as though they were my brothers or something.

"He's got a girlfriend," I snapped falsely. He'd kissed the waitress but he didn't have a true girlfriend yet. I heard he had his eye on the waitress still though.

"I don't see her," Delia giggled, winding me up slight. I had to remind myself she didn't know them like I did. "Anyway, it's probably just a rumour started by the jealous girls," she shrugged and I agreed. For the jealous girl was me.

With only a couple of days left until the scheduled dinner with Brian, I kept my sights firmly on him and noticed him nodding his head at the suits. I breathed out gladly.

We had a busy few weeks coming up. John was due to go back to art college for another term and between that and rehearsals we wouldn't have any time to spend together. If the guys agreed to Brian's proposal, They'd be way too busy to hang with me anymore. I was getting left behind and I didn't like it one bit.

I downed the last of my pink drink. "Let's dance," I suggested. "I want to make the most of tonight." For it may be one of our last.

After the gig

"Nows my chance," Delia gushed, watching the band putting their instruments away. John wiped his face with a towel, dripping in sweat after their crowded set. Ringo struggled to take down his drums.

"Did you see Brian watching?" Paul made conversation with the others.

"Let's hope he's not some pervy freak with a thing for men," John lowered the tone with his sarcasm.

"John?" Delia called out and waved. John squinted, confused as to who was calling him. As soon as he spotted us two, a large beam spread across his face.

"Ah, girlies!" He gave a mock girly wave back, making us both laugh.

"It's you!" Paul looked over. "The ankles all better, I heard," Paul kicked his dry lips from singing all night. Delia didn't hesitate to run closer to them all. I lagged ever so slightly behind, hoping to avoid too much friendly chatter with them so that Delia wouldn't notice our friendship.

"You ok Faye?" George made me jump, appearing behind me. He always tuned his guitar before putting it back in the case. I looked up at the slender guy, clocking his concentration with his guitar.

"I, uh, yeah," I placed a hand on my beating heart. "Listen, I can't explain but act as though you don't know me well," I hissed and glanced at my friend who was otherwise occupied. George just stared at me in mirth.

"Yer a funny one, you know," he told me right of the back with a certain softness I couldn't explain.

"Please," I batted my eyelashes pleadingly.

"If yer want," he shrugged and lifted his guitar up higher.

"Tell the others to do the same too. Especially John. Just until I've told Delia that we've been hanging out," I explained in a bit more detail.

"Right," George agreed enthusiastically, understanding my angle. He switched his attention to his band mates. "Hey guys, Faye said—" he grabbed everybody's attention, including Delia's attention.

I grabbed his elbow quickly and pulled him. "Nothing," I spluttered. "I said nothing." I secretly glared at George who found it hilarious to wind me up. I hit his chest softly. "Not now," I hissed through gritted teeth.

"What's going on here?" John marched up obviously, Delia's eyes glued to him. He began to snake his arm around my shoulder but I ducked and ran to Delia's side. He looked angry and confused at my actions, certain I was snubbing him. I wasn't, but I couldn't explain that.

"Errr," Ringo sensed the atmosphere and switched our topic of conversation. "You know," he eyed Delia up and down with a cheeky grin. I knew exactly what he was thinking. I inwardly groaned. His piercing eyes saw something they liked in Delia. "I'm parched. Fancy a drink someplace else? Somewhere fun?" He suggested to everyone, with a pep to his step. I couldn't get over how well they cleaned up in our chosen attire.

"I don't know." John snapped and stared directly at me. Intensely. I wilted under his glare, unintentionally hitting him. I couldn't wait until George explained properly to him what was going on with my actions. "Should we go, Faye?" John pointedly asked.

It would be the perfect opportunity to let Delia relax and get to know the guys before I told her about me and John.

"Yes. Let's have some fun. Please." I said, huffing.