11 - Yule Ball

A couple weeks after the first task, in the fourth year Gryffindors' transfiguration lesson Professor McGonagall made an announcement.

"The Yule Ball is approaching - a traditional part of the triwizard tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. The ball is open to fourth years and up, but you may invite a younger student if you wish."

Parvati and Lavender broke into giggles for some reason, causing Harriet to roll her eyes at her dorm mates.

"Dress robes will be worn, and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then, the Yule Ball is of course a chance to let our hair down. But that does NOT mean that we will be relaxing the standard of behaviour expected from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor embarrasses the school in any way."

The bell rang, and students scuffled to collect their bags and leave the classroom. "Potter, a word if you please."

Harriet made her way over to her head of house. Once the rest of the class had gone, Professor McGonagall spoke.

"Potter, it is a tradition that the champions and their partners open the Yule Ball with a waltz."

"A waltz? I don't dance, Professor."

"It is traditional, Miss Potter. I daresay Mr Diggory would be able to teach you a thing or two about it."

She pursed her lips and nodded. "Okay."

***

"Pretty boy! Did you hear about the ball?"

He nodded. "We're opening the ball. Just found out from Professor Sprout."

"Do you know how to waltz?"

"I had lessons when I was younger. You?"

"No bloody clue."

"Well that simply won't do." He dragged her by the wrist into the nearest classroom, which was a currently empty defense classroom.

"What are you doing?"

"I am going to teach you how to waltz."

"Oh Merlin have mercy."

***

Christmas Day was weird honestly. It was Harriet's first Christmas without Ron since she was 10. It was also her first Christmas without receiving an initialed sweater from Mrs Weasley. It hurt, she had to admit.

She had to get ready for the ball on her own while Lavender and Parvati were helping Hermione, and as she put her earrings in she looked out the corner of her eye to see her roommates side-eying her from across the room. She quickly put her shoes on and made her way out of the dorm.

People were chatting in the common room, and Harriet met up with Fred, George and Neville by the door. Most of the girls were still getting ready, so the room was full of men. As she walked down the stairs Fred and George whistled at her, to which she clipped both of them in the back of the head.

"Blimey,"
"Could that be,"
"Our Ickle Harrikins?"
"Couldn't be Gred, she looks too grown up."
"Normally I'd say you're right Forge-"

Harri rolled her eyes. "Oh will you two shut up. Now, are we going down or not?"

They quickly got up and made their way out of the common room to the entrance hall, where Cedric and the other champions were waiting. The three Gryffindor boys left Harri at the top of the staircase and went to go find their own dates.

As Harriet walked down the staircase, she bit her lip in slight nervousness. She met Cedric at the bottom and the older boy took her hand in his and kissed it. "M'lady, I am here to escort you to the ball."

She fondly smiled and rolled her eyes at the Hufflepuff, deciding to play along. "Why thank you kind Sir, that is a most generous offer. Shall we?"

He held his arm out to her, which the Gryffindor took and they found themselves stood with the other champions and their dates.

The last person to arrive was Hermione, who was Viktor Krum's date.

Once it hit eight o'clock, the doors to the Great Hall opened and the three couples glided into the Great Hall one after another. Cedric and Harriet went first, followed by Fleur and Roger Davies, and then finally Viktor and Hermione.

When they reached the empty dance floor, Cedric offered Harri one of his boyish smiles as they began their waltz. With his hands around her waist, Harri felt secure and safe.

The opening waltz went well. Cedric led Harri gracefully across the floor, in their own world while simultaneously being mindful of the other couples. Gradually, the judges and other Hogwarts teachers joined in and then eventually the rest of the student body.

The night was nothing short of magical.

A/N: I'm sorry this chapter sucked, I just didn't know what else to write. I've been in a little bit of a block lately, sorry loves.