Act One: Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing? Yoga breathing?" Riven snapped, his twin swords in his hands.

Mor rolled her eyes, "I'm trying to listen!"

"How are you going to hear anything if you're breathing so heavily?" He chuckled under his breath, and she resisted the urge to elbow him in the back, "Have you been reading that book of yours again, Princess?"

"Don't call me that." Mor hissed, abandoning her attempts to listen to the earth and instead lifted her hands into a defensive position.

The pair turned round on the spot, bac to back, as they scanned their surroundings for the Burned One.

"But I like it." She couldn't see him, but she knew he was smirking.

Mor bit out through gritted teeth, "Well I don't."

Movement snagged her attention and she rallied her magic, pushing her hands forwards as power surged through her, firing bullets of rock at the raging Burned One.
A smirk played across her lips as the creature staggered back with a hideous snarl, before it vanished into thin air.

Behind her, Riven shifted his body weight and readied his swords as another Burned One appeared, its mauled skin sending involuntary shivers down Mor's spine.

She frowned slightly as Riven drew in a breath and.... did nothing.
The Burned One rushed ever closer, and he still did nothing but stare it down.
What was he doing?
The creature was 10 metres away, 7 metres away, 6, 3, 1-

Gritting her teeth, she shoved him out the way before he could even react.
Jaw clenched, Mor's eyes glowed and her medallion pulsed softly as she brought up her left hand, watching as vines snaked up the creature's limbs and stopped it in its tracks. As she closed her fist, the vines tightened and with her right hand, she sent a spear of rocks straight through the Burned One's chest.
It spluttered and shrivelled, before disintegrating into nothing but dust as the stimulation ended.

Riven was fuming beside her, but she spared no glance in his direction as she straightened out her jacket and fixed her ponytail. She knew he was angry about her pushing him out the way, but he was doing nothing as the monster charged towards him - she had to do something!

"Well done, you two!" Mr. Harvey applauded before Riven could bite her head off.

The boy said nothing, but Mor nodded, "Thank you, sir."

"However." Harvey began, "You both need more work together. For your team to be effective, you, Riven, need to learn to communicate with your fairy. And you, Morrigan, need to learn to trust your Specialist."

Mor scoffed and muttered under her breath, "Well that's never gonna happen."

Both ignored her comment - although Riven winced ever so slightly - and the teacher then walked off to where Bloom and Sky had failed yet another stimulation.

Pursing her lips and not caring to stay and weather the current storm that was Riven, Mor spun on her heel and strode off to the exit of the maze, planning to get some sparring practise done. But the brunette boy had other ideas, jogging to catch up with her and grabbing her wrist, causing her to whirl to face him.

"What?" Mor snapped, snatching her wrist out of his grip.

Riven narrowed his eyes as he jabbed a finger in the direction of the maze, "What the fuck was that? Are you so desperate for extra credit that you'd steal mine?!"

"What are you talking about?" She crossed her arms over her chest, "You weren't doing anything, and the Burned One was right there!"

"Yes, right where I wanted it to be!" He raised his voice, and the passing students turn to see what the commotion was.