Chapter One- First Stop!:

Start from the beginning

"Welcome to Armellies Creek! Home of the Mules!"

I stared in horror as I realized the picture of the mule had its eyes crossed out, and what looked to be flies, devil horns, and it's tail pointed to be devilish. Underneath it was fire and the word HELL written in. Someone obviously didn't like A Creek...and I could almost see why.

When we got passed the sign the road turned into a dirt one, many holes were dug into it. The only signs of life seemed to be at the gas station, which looked run down. I only saw a liquor store, the sheriff's office, and a country mart in the open area. Mr. Edmonds seeming to sense my despair chuckled.

"There's more to the town past the thick wood girly," he said. I let go of the breath I barely knew I was holding.

"Oh, well great," I replied smiling a bit.

"Well, I guess I could drop you off down by your aunt's ranch s-, never mind, there she is now!" Mr. Edmonds exclaimed. I looked to the front of the cab to see nothing at first, but then turned my attention to see an old pickup truck sitting in front of the country mart. A woman with a floral dress and cowboy boots, her thick, black curly hair flowing down her back.

He pulled up in front if her, kicking up some dirt and gravel. Once completely stopped he rolled down the window, grinning.

"Ive got this mighty fine girl here in the back, says she's your little niece. I'd say I'm surprised, but not too entirely. Looks a lot like you," he called out to her. She walked over to the drivers window, and leaned down to look in the back, her eyes landing on me. She had big green eyes, a small nose, tan skin, flyaway hair black hair, and a pretty smile.

"That's her alright. Almost thought she wasn't coming I'd waited so long," she said still keeping her gaze on me. Her voice was smooth, but a bit loud. She too had a somewhat country drawl. "Well, you gonna come on out?" She asked addressing me. I nodded and opened up the car door. As soon as I had stepped out and shut it, she had already walked over and pulled me into a firm hug. I hugged her back awkwardly. We were about the same height I noticed, me being an inch or two shorter.

She pulled back keeping her hands on my shoulders.

"Wow, look at you. Look just like your mother did, I can see it in those determined eyes of yours," she smiled as her eyes scanned my face.

"Well, Mom always said I had that sort of look to me," I replied, a smile tugging at the corners of my mouth.

"I'm just glad you made it here safely, Adalaide. I sure am happy to see you."

"I'm glad to see you too, aunt Ashley."

At that she went over to the trunk of the car and pulled out my two suitcases and bag. She put them all in the back of her truck. Once she did she walked over to the drivers side of the cab and tipped Mr. Edmonds, gratefully.

"Thank ya again Bill, drive safely, ya hear?" My aunt told him, as she tapped his door. He nodded and said goodbye as she stepped back. He pulled out, driving away from the country mart, back down the road we had come from. My only way out of here was now gone, and I felt at ease. Something about this summer already seemed like it was going to go just fine.

I had gotten into the truck, a little antsy since I had to be in the car a lot that it seemed. Aunt Ashley had been asking me small questions, which she had explained was because she needed to familiarize herself with me again. It was small talk, but filled up those empty moments when we were silent.

As we drove I kept my attention mostly out side of the car to check out the town. Mr. Edmonds had been right when there was way more behind the thick wood. There was a school which was three levels of school put together. A small diner, a church, a thrift store, daycare, two parks, and a repair shop. Many houses filled the other empty spots. Some were very run down, a few looking very nice here and there. But all of them were small.