Chapter 4 - Let The Games Begin...

Start from the beginning

“That’s amazing!” She exclaimed excitedly, the class laughed along with me. I felt the happiness bubble inside me. This semester was going to be different. The class didn’t think I was a freak, give or take a few disgusted and scared expressions from a handful of people. I had a feeling my eyes were going to be green a lot.

Thanking the teacher for letting me address the class, I made my way back to my seat next to Sammy. Suddenly she jumped up and hugged me.

“I'm so proud of you Jace” she lent in close and whispered into my ear “look at Hazel’s face, it’s been like that as soon as you started talking to the class” Sure enough Hazel was sitting there with a blank look on her face. I looked back to Sammy and we both laughed, causing Hazel to snap out of her thoughts. She looked over at us and gave us her famous death stare. Remembering Sophia, I walked over to Hazel I simply said: “Hi Hazel, Sophia text me yesterday say that you were hassling her. She asked me to tell you to leave her alone. Okay?” She looked at me in astonishment and nodded, taking this as my answer I walked off and sitting back down beside Sammy.

“Jace, you’re my hero” Sammy stated as I sat down next to her

I laughed with her and the bell rang signalling for home room to be over. Art class. That class had to be my favourite out of all our classes. We were just about in the classroom when I felt someone grabbing onto my shirt yanking me backwards. I nearly fell over into the person. Sammy turned around and her face formed into a scowl. I turned to see Hazel looking at me with her death stare shooting straight at my eyes. “Gosh, Hazel if you wanted my attention you could have just said my name” I said to her keeping my face blank, I was still happy because I had just stood up to her again! Ha that was 2 points for me 0 for Hazel.

“So you did get the text message yesterday” She stated glaring at me

Playing along with yesterday’s genius plan I gave her a confused look and asked with fake innocence “What text message?”

Her face fell a little but she continued “Whatever, any way back off Noah. He’s mine and even though you have told everyone about your eyes, I can still make your life miserable” Her death stare still in place

“Hazel. I highly doubt you can make my life miserable. I’ve been through that and trust me” I paused gesturing around the school “This is like heaven” I smirked as her face went blank, suddenly I saw a wicked smile appear on her face before it formed into a sweet smile. I turned my head to the side trying to see what she was smiling at. Oh of course, I should have known. Noah was walking up behind us.

“Anyways have a great day guys!” She cheerfully said and walked off, I turned to Sammy and she just shrugged. We both turned around and walked into class Noah following us.

“Hey guys! Remember how I said you two were so much more fun than my art buddy, mind if I sit with you again?” He asked smiling sweetly

I smiled back to him and replied “Sure take a seat, Sammy and I will be back in a sec. We just have to hand in our projects”

“Woah, you guys finished them already?! That was quick, can I see?” he asked looking hopeful

We laughed and took out our art work; he smiled at Sammy’s and complemented the colours. He said mine was really, really good. I laughed when he saw it, his face was so funny.

The art teacher was even happier than Noah, she wouldn’t stop smiling and complementing our work saying that it was so beautiful.

The rest of class blended together, giving Sammy and I time to do whatever we wanted. Most of the time was spent talking with Noah. We were talking about the weekend when Sammy suddenly got up and excused her-self to go to the bathroom.

“So how’s your artwork going?” I asked Noah pointing to the easel facing where Sammy and I were sitting.

He smiled shyly and said “I’ll show you when Sammy gets back. It’s a surprise” he finished winking at me

I couldn’t help but smile at this guy, I didn’t know what it was about him but he was just easy to get along with. We talked until the bell finally rang and we headed off to our next class. Mathematics was next on the schedule. Surprisingly Noah happened to be in all of my classes including this one. However when the three of us, Sammy, Noah and myself walked into the classroom laughing the mood changed. I nearly choked when I saw Hazel sitting there talking to her friends. Did she transfer to this maths class!?

Noah suddenly turned on his heals to face me “Did I just see what I thought I saw?!” he asked in alarm his breath touching my face

I nodded “I-I think she transferred to this class…” I replied looking up into his eyes our faces about 15 inches apart

He sighed and smiled at me, “Mind if I hang with you and Sammy again?”

I looked to Sammy and she grinned “Sure Noah you can sit with Jace and I” she said nudging me

“Jace?” Asked Noah tilting his head to the side

I grinned sheepishly “A nickname”

He laughed lightly, “Well then Jace and Sammy, will you welcome me into the drastic duo? We can be…” he trailed off taping his finger against his chin thinking “The terrific trio!” He smiled

I cleared my throat and got my ruler out of my pencil case. “I dub thee, Noah of weirdness. Welcome to the crew” At this we all laughed, catching a couple of people’s attention. Hazel included.

I made eye contact with her, bad move! She smiled wickedly at me and walked up to us. “Hey guys! Um, Jacey I was wondering if I could talk to you…”

“Sure” I replied shrugging, more threats maybe? We walked over to the quite side of the class room and she began to speak

“Look, Jacey I’m sorry for being so mean to you. It’s just When Noah to a liking to you; I guess I kinda got a little jealous…” I little?! I thought to myself “Anyways, I wanted to make up for it” She replied doing the sweet smile thing again as she pulled me back to where Sammy and Noah were talking

“Okay guys, I know I’ve been a little mean lately and I wanted to make up for it. I’m having a party at my house on Friday night. You guys are all invited. I’ll text you the details Sammy and Noah, but Jacey I don’t have your number. I tried texting you the other day but some guy named Jason texted back. I must have gotten the wrong number” she said looking at me

Sammy and I exchanged little knowing smirks and I replied “Here pass us your phone and I’ll put it in for you” extending my hand which she put a bedazzled pink iPhone in

I started typing away into the phone and put my number in, hopefully Hazel didn’t recognise it. As I handed it back to her she flashed a sweet smile at us and walked off yelling over her shoulder “Hope to see you there!”

Something was up; someone like her didn’t just suddenly become an angel. Her act wasn’t fooling me…