Discussing Options

"It's amazing what Liam's been able to achieve in such a short amount of time."

Rylan dropped his menu onto his plate and lowered Annabelle's. "While his choices appeared to be random at first, the people Liam's placed into the government, have been strategic."

Annabelle unrolled the napkin, freeing the utensils, and laid them on the table. She dabbed her mouth with the ornate cloth before laying it across her lap. "Given that his colonization legislation was approved so quickly, that much is obvious. Are we going to be able to undo his recklessness?"

Rylan raised a finger, and their waiter hurried over. The man deposited a plate of sliced bread and a carafe of oil between them, "Are you ready to order?"

"I'll have the chef's recommendation."

"What would you like to drink?"

Rylan lifted his menu, handing it to the server. "Whatever wine the chef considers appropriate for his selection."

"You're too adventurous, dear," Annabelle surrendered hers as her lips curled into a smile. She rested her chin upon her fingers and winked at Rylan. "Please bring me the house salad topped with grilled steak, but leave a touch of red in it."

The waiter tucked the menus under his arm. "And to drink?"

"I'll share my husband's spirit there," Annabelle gripped Rylan's wrist, smiling. "Whatever drink the chef recommends."

"Right away," the server said, retreating toward the kitchen.

When the waiter disappeared, Annabelle squeezed Rylan's hand. "You know chefs always select the most expensive item when they're given the choice to choose for customers."

"But I've yet to have an unsatisfactory meal when getting their recommendation."

"You've just been lucky."

Rylan scooted forward and gripped Annabelle's neck. With a long breath, he pulled her closer and kissed her forehead. "It's not that shocking considering that I'm highly selective about where we eat."

"We're constantly dining at new restaurants."

"That's not entirely true," Rylan answered, grabbing a slice of bread. He laid it down and lifted the tiny carafe of oil. He removed the stopper out and took a whiff. His smile spread to his eyes as he smacked his lips, "That smells enticing."

"We've never come here before."

Rylan poured some oil onto the flaky bread, tore off a chunk, and popped it into his mouth. As he chewed the mouthful, a soft moan mingled with the din of the restaurant. "True, but we've gone nowhere unless I've researched the establishment." With a warm grin, Rylan clinked Annabelle's glass, "Which means I know we'll have delicious meals."

"If Liam gets his way, we won't have these opportunities much longer."

Rylan ripped his slice of bread in half and gestured toward the window. "All the more reason to enjoy the fruits of my labor while we're able to." Rylan shoved the chunk into his mouth and licked the flavored oil off his fingers. Pressing his fist against his chest, Rylan swallowed the mouthful and sighed. "What's really bothering you?"

"Have you heard the rumors?"

He pushed the edge of his plate against the table and swirled it around. "There are many stories circling less than reputable news sources. Is there a narrative that you find especially troubling?"

"The ones reporting the increasing military presence."

"Thanks to the assaults, Liam convinced the populous to accept the military's help in removing the danger." Rylan released the plate and snatched the last of his bread. He mopped up the spices and ate it. Rylan clapped his hands together and groaned. "Unfortunately, my testimony wasn't sufficient to prove that Liam orchestrated the beatings."

Annabelle's lips pursed as her head whipped about. "While you're right, I was referring to the colonies."

"That's been circling about as well." Rylan rubbed his jaw and grabbed another slice of bread. "However, without unquestionable corroboration that the military is controlling those new worlds, there's little we can accomplish." He nudged the tray towards her, "You should try this." He dragged his piece across his plate with a grin, "Make sure you flavor it with the spiced oil."

"You're not taking this seriously enough."

Rylan slid the platter into her hand, "Let's enjoy our dinner."

Annabelle grabbed a slice and stared at it.

He placed the bread on her plate and poured some oil onto it. "Despite the increase in security, your father and I are searching for a way to undo the damage Liam's done." He prepared his piece and started munching on it. "Unfortunately, since we couldn't quell the assaults without the military's aid, it's unlikely we'll convince the populous to reclaim their surrendered freedoms."

"You're painting a bleak picture of our future." Annabelle took a bite from her bread and grinned. She placed the food onto her plate and shoved it toward the center of the table. "For the sake of my appetite, please tell me you and dad have something in mind to counter the plans Liam's put into motion."

Rylan raised his glass, gripping it tightly between his hands, and covered his mouth. "There are a couple of ideas that we've toiled with." He sipped some of his water and kept the cup in front of his lips. "We are not sure if the options before us are viable in the long run, but we're working the issues."

"What choice is getting all your attention?"

Rylan placed his glass down and took her hands. "If we could, your father and I would love to visit each world and gather the proof that they're subjugated by the military."

"There are three colonies, and Liam's established a travel ban!"

Rylan grabbed his bread and tore a chunk from it. With a smile, he swallowed the mouthful, "Thankfully, there are people we can trust."

"How do you expect to get someone to each planet?" Annabelle's fingers tightened around his hand, "Please tell me you're not thinking about doing this yourself."

He dropped his food and gripped her hands. "Like your father, I'm too recognizable to think about traveling off world."

"Thank goodness for small favors."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this story, please comment and vote. Also, consider checking out my Patreon site for more flash fiction
https://www.patreon.com/stevenpmeehan