Chapter 26: Unusual Encounters

"You're spending extra time with Snape?" Neville choked as he started watering a dandelion root, an ingredient that belonged on the Dreamless Sleep Potion's extensive list. His nose was slightly running from the cold chill that ran through the greenhouse. "That sounds mad to me. I couldn't imagine being around him even more than I do now."

Ana snickered and rolled her eyes at her friend who grew paler the longer they discussed the master of potions. She was aware of the effect he had on other students; he wasn't particularly nice to them, he wasn't even particularly nice to her. Intolerable men were a constant in Ana's life, so she felt equipped to deal with him at least.

"I told you, Neville, I've got to finish this potion before Christmas break!"

"Yes, you mentioned it but why?"

Her face fell as she stared into her cauldron, her mitten covered hands meticulously stirred the potion counterclockwise as the liquid turned a shimmering navy. It was a pretty color, almost like the night sky when she would go out to the Astronomy Tower at night. The view looked gorgeous, especially once it got colder, Ana remembered.

"I can't take the potion home with me for Christmas, so I have to finish it before I leave."

Neville nodded his head, the boy's eyes seemed out of focus as he rubbed at his nose. His cheeks were turning rosy, sitting just below the knit hat that covered his messy hair. It looked cozy and warm; the only item she had to combat the cold were her wool mittens that weren't even hers.

"You're going home for Christmas?"

She peered up to see that the boy was now playing with a little beetle that was resting at the top of a potted shrivelfig plant. He seemed distracted and was speaking quietly. Quieter than he typically did.

"I am. Are you? Going home?" Ana stood from her position to grab a handful of blowflies from the stash of ingredients she had borrowed from Professor Snape. He was annoyed at her for taking from his supply but after having his little hissy-fit, the man gave them up rather easily. Ana never paid too much attention to when he was dramatic, she knew that after his theatrics and snarling that he was all talk and no bite. Unfortunately, Neville only experienced a rude Snape from what Ana heard.

"Yeah, I'm going home. My nan is having a few friends over," he explained with a small frown. "She likes to make the house feel full."

"If it makes you feel any better, Neville, I would much prefer staying here and or going to hang out with you and your nan than going home."

He looked up at her, surprise etched on his face. "Wait, really? You would?" His whole aura flipped, the downturned look was replaced with a cheeky smile the showcased his larger front teeth. That's the Neville she wanted to see.

"Of course I would, you're my friend. Anywhere is better than the Manor anyways."

"And why is that?"

Ana sighed deeply, debating whether or not she wanted to reveal to the boy what she was feeling. He looked so blissfully unaware of what was on her mind as he was bouncing his leg up and down to try to garner some heat to his frozen legs. Ana didn't want to worry the boy, but she sighed before trying to choose the right words to say.

"Going back home isn't very fun for me."

The young boy wiped his nose on his sleeve, looking up at her with gentle hazel eyes and nodding slowly. A comfortable silence hovered between them as they shivered and she worked on the potion.