Chapter 24: Happy Halloween

The Quidditch results were in. Ana was given the position of the new Slytherin chaser and the news had somehow made its way all throughout the school. Draco nearly screamed at the news, talking about how if he made it the following year that his dream of being on the team with his big sister could become a reality. It made Ana's heart warm at his excitement considering it was the most attention he had given her in a long time. The boy didn't celebrate for long, but it was better than nothing, Ana sighed.

Neville gave her a hearty congratulations when he heard she got the position. They spent hours talking about how excited she was about her first game. So far only Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff had played, and after Halloween she would have her first game against Gryffindor. Apparently, they also had a secret weapon which scared yet intrigued the girl. She received support from everyone; well, almost everyone.

Ever since the final rooster was announced Alex had hardly spoken a word to Ana. Of course Ana didn't assume the fiery girl would be thrilled at the outcome, she was aware of how hard Alex had trained for the position. Even Ana didn't know why she was picked over Alex, but there was nothing she could do to make the girl feel better. Ana wasn't going to apologize for being chosen, but the cold shoulder she was getting from one of her best friends was starting to unnerve her.

All five of them were eating dinner at the Great Hall and the tension in the air was palpable. Alex was uncharacteristically quiet which already made things awkward among the group at times she would glare at the new chaser while she shoveled potatoes into her mouth. It was beginning to make everyone incredibly uncomfortable.

"Alex, if your eyes were lasers, there would be a hole in my forehead," Ana sighed as she slowly looked up from eating her sandwich. They had to get to the bottom of this, the silent treatment was unbearable.

Aeron laughed at Ana's statement while Calista sorrowfully glanced at Alex who was now full on scowling at the girl. Alex dropped her fork loudly and crossed her arms over her chest, which making Lucian roll his eyes and huff out in annoyance.

"Come on, Lex, just drop it," the oldest boy challenged his fuming little sister. "Next year another position opens up. You'll be sure to get it next year. I promise you."

"What makes you so certain?" she snapped back, making an already anxious Calista jump back in surprise. "You were positive I was going to make it this year, too, Lucian."

At the admission, Lucian dropped his head, his tan skin grew red as he fiddled with his tie. She didn't care that Lucian thought Alex was going to get on the team, Draco would have done the same for her. But what Ana hated was how venomous the girl was towards her. She understood why, but goodness it was getting old real quick.

"Alex, if you wanna have beef with anyone, you should just slap Flint in the face again," Aeron quipped at the fuming girl. "Maybe that's why he didn't pick you, he's probably pissed."

"Stay out of this Wright, you know exactly why I did that. Hell, Flint probably picked Ana so the team could get handouts from the great Lucius Malfoy," she mocked in a fake sweet tone.

Everyone stared daggers at the girl after the comment left her mouth. Alex refused to look at them: a mixture of astonishment of embarrassment graced all of their faces, the chatter that filled the rest of the Great Hall fell on deaf ears. Ana, however, couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculousness that was spewing from one of her best friend's mouths. It wasn't a joyful laugh, it was acidic and at the sound of it, Alex turned stiff and nervous. Ana could handle Alex being rude, but once her character was called into play, that was it.