Ashes

IW WAR SPOILERS
ANGST WARNING

Mwhaha enjoy....

The tarnished figure of a broken boy lay on the battlefield. Dark red streams ran down the side of his face and cheeks, as he let out a poignant whimper.

"I couldn't do it, Mr. Stark. I wasn't strong enough to save you. I can't do it. I can't live without you. Please," he weeped. "Please come back. I'll trade my life for yours. But you can't be gone. You're all I had left Mr. Stark. Please."

The only response was the whispering of the wind, blowing ashes into his face.

May had suffered from cancer the prior year, ending in an abrupt and painful demise. Mr. Stark was the closest person he had to family left. But not anymore. Now, the spiderling was truly alone.

~2 Hours Earlier~

The fresh wave of heroes surged through the portals, edged on by the sight of the battlefield.

A battle cry rang through the ranks as everyone raised their voices to join in. The war raged on, strange creatures raced, trampling the dirt beneath their feet. These beasts came in seemingly endless hoards. A large foreign ship rested its body on the ground, attacking the exhausted heroes as the gauntlet was repeatedly transferred.

Gradually, the Avengers failed, falling onto the growing piles of corpses. Dr. Strange looked around, blatantly confused. There had been one way to win. But this? This was not it. Where had they gone wrong?

The answer lay with a small spiderling. A small spider who had taken too long to catch the gauntlet. The stones were now being passed through the aliens, heading for Thanos who was looking on in interest. Not even a minute later, a booming laugh echoed. Standing up, the wrinkly purple grape grinned madly, a neurotic look in his eyes.

"The world will be balanced at last. You have fought valiantly, but you cannot outwit me. I am inevitable."

An horrified expression spread over everyone's faces as they realized what was to become of them. As they were faced with their death, a seemingly impossible occurrence.

"I had only meant to erase half of your population. I would've saved your race, balanced the odds to insure your existence. But your species won't accept life at my hands. They would keep fighting and resisting change and peace. Now, all will receive death by my hands, but one. The one that caused this will be left to suffer for the rest of his days, spared."

The coward which had caused his world defeat would be left to live. A punishment a warrior should not deserve, an honorable death he wouldn't be granted.

Peter Parker would be left to suffer alone.

Wearing a smile filled with finality, Thanos snapped his fingers, leaving the young boy by himself surrounded by the bodies of heroes who were supposed to win. These people weren't given another breath as they faded into a memory, their physical bodies turned to dust, blowing away with the winds of change.

The blood remained. The broken sobs of a young boy who had lost too much. The last thing Peter saw on Tony Stark's face was a look of betrayal.