Chapter 1. Nothing new.

Paige's POV

" I know something- I know that I am not alone, that I have friends, that I'm in love. I know where I came from. I know I don't want to die, and for me, that's something- more than I could have said a few weeks ago." ~ Allegiant by Veronica Roth.

It's been almost a year since Beth died and to be honest, this year has been complete shit. I can hear Maggie crying her self to sleep every night and there's nothing I can do.

Carl turned 16 a few weeks ago. He's still his childish self. We became more closer to each other. That's good I guess. I mean I'm completely in love with him.

I'm turning 16 in a few days but who's counting. I don't even care anymore.

Lizzy and Mika are like my daughters now. That call me mom and Carl dad. I mean it's not the family that I dreamed of but its all I can ever ask for. I love them to death and I would do anything for them.

Carl's the same. He loves them. Sometimes I even see them smile when they talk to him. And that's very often. They still miss there real dad but they don't say it.

Carol and Daryl are Dating now I think. I mean they act like it.

We've all been staying at this house In a little town. It's pretty big. It's safe. That's all we really ask for these days right?

It's close to a little strip mall down the street that hasn't been cleaned out yet so there's still a lot of food there.

I'm on watch right now sitting on the porch of the house. It's in the middle of summer now so I'm in shorts and a t shirt.

When ever I see a walker I just throw a rock and it's gone.

Carl walks up to me and puts his hands around my waist.

" Is my shift over?" I asked and he kissed me cheek.

" Nope! I just came out here to keep you company!" He said and I smiled.

"How's the girls?" I asked and he smiles.

" Their fine. Their inside playing with dolls upstairs." He said and I smiled.

" That's good." For a while we just stood there in silence. It wasn't awkward. I really never is.

" You know what?" He said and I looked up at him.

" What?"

" I love you." He said and I giggled.

" Love you too cowboy." I said and took his hat and out it in.

" Hey!"he said and took it off my head.

" Mom!" Mika said running towards me.

" Yes darling." I said and hugged her.

" Rick wants you." She said and I nodded.

I walked inside and saw Rick standing in the kitchen waiting for me.

" Yes?" I asked and he looked up.

" Later we're going t o take Noah to his town to see if there's people there and I want you to come along." He said and I nodded.

" Alright when do I need to be ready?"i asked and he sat down.

"I'm about two hours. He said and I nodded.